Sunday, June 23, 2013

thoughts on a sunday

  • It is family movie right now and I figure I can "watch" and blog at the same time.   I am determined that today is the day that I start blogging again.  So here we go!

 We had lunch in what Ellery called the hospital's backyard.  That is the only bite Layla took of her giant corn dog.
  • Brian is at work today and we got to go visit him for the first time after church.  Why have we not done this already?  I LOVED seeing him in his work clothes, especially the hat, and I love that I can now picture where he is, where he spends his days and where he sleeps when he's not next to me.  The kids LOVED getting snacks and drinks and eating lunch in the tropical "backyard" at the hospital.  It's something we'll definitely do again, especially on long Sundays when he is gone.  

Hanging on dad's bed.
  • McKay almost had a heart attack when I wouldn't let him go home after church and change.  "But people will look at me mom!!!"  I don't know why his church clothes bring so much attention where all the people will be looking at him because of them, but I made him brave the stares anyway.  Funny kid.  He's like his dad in this way- not a fan of church clothes either.  
  • Layla is now sporting her second cast after Ellery accidentally pulled her first one off.  We were all a bit shocked about it.  She chose a green one this time, and let me tell you, it is BRIGHT green.  
  • We noticed last night that there is significant wear and tear on our table right under Layla's right arm.  When she got her cast, she learned pretty quick that it could be used as a weapon.  It is not uncommon for me to hear "Mo-oom!  Layla just hit me with her cast."  She's done it to me too.  Naughty girl.
  • It's been sad to see her struggle to get used to being a one handed toddler.  She has adapted pretty well, but she spills more when drinking, going potty is not as easy, and holding her cast when walking is challenging.  She gets asked every time we are out what happened to her arm and she replies, "I fell out of my bed" every time.  I usually follow up with, "She jumped out of her crib," so they can really get the picture.  The green cast comes off on Wednesday- thank goodness it's not longer!
  • Okay, enough about that.  Lets talk about McKay.  I was quite worried about having McKay home all day, every day this summer.  He is such a good boy, but he needs a lot of attention and can be tiring.  His "What's the plan for today?  What's the plan for tomorrow?  What are we doing after this?  When do we get to do this?" can just about drive me crazy.  We are working on being "easy" and laid back- not always having to know what's coming up, but it's not at all easy for him.  Jana watched the kids when I was at girls camp for a day and she said, "McKay is such a good kid....but he is kind of exhausting!"  I get it.  Believe me, I get it.  
  • This summer I decided it would be helpful for all of us if we had a weekly and daily plan.  Movie Monday, Time to Read Tuesday, Water Wednesday, etc...  Our daily plan includes learning time and daily jobs.  I also made an "I'm bored" jar, which they can chose an activity to do.  Sometimes it's fun, sometimes it's a chore, but the rule is if they pick one, they have to do it.  So I thought I was all prepared, but as it turns out, keeping a schedule in the summer is really tricky.  We had a lot going on the first couple weeks of summer- swimming lessons, Nonnie dying, and I had girls camp- so I feel like we haven't had a real good trial on our schedule.  We haven't even been swimming yet.  Now that camp is over, I feel like summer can finally begin and we can do fun things and keep our schedule a little better.  McKay loves this new summer schedule, just as I knew he would, but we had to talk a lot about how we can still be flexible.  He's doing pretty good.
  • The first couple weeks of summer McKay didn't want to play with anyone- I don't know why.  But this week, he has finally found his grove and is outside playing for hours with friends.  They have always had a little club- their clubhouse being on the West side of our house- but they haven't used it too much, until lately.  That's what he's been doing for the last three days straight- playing in the clubhouse with his friends.  Who knows what they do over there- I've heard mining is involved- but it's keeping him busy and outside and using his creative mind, so I'm happy.  

  • Girls camp was fun but I'm relieved it's over.  It was freezing at night and I didn't come totally prepared for that.  Since I came after they had all been there for two days, they had learned a trick to staying warm- a hot rock wrapped in a towel in the bottom of your sleeping bag.  We all tried it the night I came up and it worked.  I was so relieved that I wasn't freezing all night long, just before bed.  
  • While I was gone, Brian took the kids to the Strawberry Days Rodeo.  Grandma and Jaynie and Tyler went with them.  They got strawberries and cream and saw fireworks.  I wasn't too jealous because I got strawberries and cream at girls camp and I don't go crazy over fireworks.  I'm glad they went and had a fun time.
  • When I got home from camp, I came in to find Ellery on the couch with the stomach flu.  Poor thing looked so miserable.  She got sick on Thursday morning and didn't perk up until Saturday evening.  It was a long sickness but I'm glad she's feeling good again, although she's not 100%.  I hope that Brian and McKay will be spared from this one- it has not been pleasant.

  • Since it is Strawberry Days here in Pleasant Grove, we went to the parade- even though some of us weren't feeling totally great (Ellery).  Poor Elle sat in the chair most of the time and kept saying she felt good,  however, she did not look it.  McKay is my kind of parade partner- he likes to cheer.  It seems like nowadays (like I'm old) everyone just sits at a parade and watches without cheering and that bugs me.  You're at a parade!  Clap for these people who are putting on the parade for you!!  Anyway, I am often alone in my cheering, and I can't cheer the whole time- I would get tired and it is not a one-man job.  That's where McKay is totally related to me.  He is an excellant woo-er at a parade.  If there is the slightest chance McKay could get something from the parade- a popsicle  a frisbee, a flyer...even a tootsie roll- he is trying his best to cheer louder than anyone.  I like this about him, although his cheering is only for personal gain.   It's still nice to have a voice next to me.  

  • Wow, I didn't expect to write all that.  I guess I am passionate about parades.  That reminds me of when I sit next to my father-in-law at a high school graduation.  He feels like each graduate needs a clap.  It is a long couple hours for him.
Happy Sunday!

1 comments:

Adele said...

I like seeing Bri in his work clothes too.