Friday, July 11, 2014

let his wishes be known

Driving in the car with the kids tonight, our conversation turned to what happens when people die.

Given that my parents have their own shrine of cremation urns decorating the bottom of the bookshelf, I understood where this was coming from.  We discussed cremation- they why's and hows and I even went into scattering ashes, but that was a bit too much.

Anyway, Ellery then asked about being buried and a whole slew of information on mortuaries and embalming came out.  It was getting a little intense, and bless my children for taking it back down to their level.

Elle asked what people wear when they are buried.  I told them that the family chooses something.

Immediately and seriously McKay said, "Girls!  When I die, I want you to burry me in a BYU shirt!"  It was as automatic a response as anything I've heard.

The wheels were turning now and he then added, "A BYU shirt and Real Salt Lake pants.  And a Boston hat.  And I want you to put balls all around me.  A soccer ball, baseball, football and basketball."

The girls agreed to this.  But then almost immediately after, Ellery had second thoughts.

"Ummm, McKay?  I don't really know how to shop for Real Salt Lake pants.  Can I put you in a Real shirt and BYU shorts?" 

"Yeah, okay.  That's good.  And still with balls all around me."

"Okay, I can put soccer balls and baseballs and all kinds of balls in there with you."

I couldn't stop smiling on the way home.

And instead of going onto caskets and cemeteries we just left it at that.

1 comments:

Adele said...

That is so great!