Saturday, March 13, 2010

strong willed




I am constantly reminding myself to be strong.  There is something about the term "strong woman" that I just want to be.  It's something that I am trying to change about myself.  I'm not saying I'm weak, although in some areas that's true, but being strong is definitely not something that comes to mind when I'd describe myself.

In high school I didn't know I cared about being a strong woman.  Even when I was first married I didn't know it was something that was important to me.  I guess I didn't care and it wasn't important.  But now I have kids.  I have a daughter.  And to me it is necessary that I be a strong woman so that I can raise a strong woman.

The other day while Ellery and McKay were playing with some other kids, both of which were older than Elle, she proved quite literally that she is way ahead.  

One of these older boys physically pushed her out of a room.  Then, pushed again.  Ellery, in a strong, yet shaken voice said, "No!  You never, never push me!  You never, never push me!"  Her words were slow and she emphasized each one.  This boy was six.  Ellery is two and a half.  She   

By the time I got over there, her voice was trembling and the tears were starting to come.  And of course when she saw me she lost it.  I hugged my little girl so tight and tried to comfort her hurt feelings.  The boy was not affected by her warnings.  He was just being too rough, like little boys can be.  And the way she stood up for herself probably didn't make him think twice about what happened.  

But that's not the point.  The point is that for such a little girl, she held her ground against someone much bigger and older than she is.  The way she spoke those words were priceless to me.  I will never forget them. . .which is partly why I'm writing them down.  

We felt so bad for our sweet little girl, but secretly, Brian and I loved that it happened.  She's strong.  Already.        

0 comments: