- My boy lost one of his front teeth this week. It has been loose for weeks, but this week it really started wiggling. On Wednesday morning we knew it was close- he couldn't eat with it, it looked all crooked and creepy dangling there by just a couple threads. Then while I was running errands Brian did a little twisting and a pulling and out it came. I got a message to make sure the tooth fairy had a dollar and now my boy has a hole in his head.
- I must admit, with his summer buzz and his new toothlessness, I am missing him a little bit, and anxious for his hair to grow back and his gap to fill back in. I don't know if I can talk him into letting his hair grow- he wanted to buzz it SO bad- but we agreed that by August he had to have some hair.
- Maybe it's the awkwardness that losing teeth can bring, or maybe it's just that I'm realizing that he is no longer my small boy. He is a big, long, skinny boy who is starting to understand how to use sarcasm and who is watching Myth Busters at his friends house and who is reading all over the place. When did my baby start doing that?
- It's been interesting to observe my two older kids as we've moved into a new neighborhood. McKay has been really anxious to make friends and wants to play with someone all day long. That is really no surprise to me. But Ellery's behavior was a little unexpected. She hasn't really wanted to play. She's been content to stay in the house and just play with Layla and her toys. She had a couple of sisters over to play last week and they played for over two hours and had a great time. I've suggested several times that we ask them to play again and she is not at all interested. I am just giving her time to figure this all out and she's pretty easy to have around, so it's fine with me. I know she'll get to want to play with friends eventually.
- McKay has already been invited to a birthday party, so he is thrilled about that.
- We haven't met too many people in our neighborhood yet. I don't want to assume that I'm not going to like this ward, because I know from experience that it's not always how you assume that it is at first, and also I know that what we make of it can make a huge difference, but I am definitely feeling new and shy and weird about being the new, shy, weird girl. It will happen- I know we'll make friends and feel comfortable- I just know it will probably take awhile.
- My niece Rylee cut the girls hair this week. Ellery got an inch cut off her long hair so you can't even notice, except it looks healthier and more even on the ends. Layla got an A-line cut, after seeing how cute my niece Elise looks in hers I finally had the guts to do it. She looks really cute, but Brian still does not condone short hair on either of his daughters. We don't really care what he thinks about hair though.
- Yesterday was a big day for the Matthews side. It was Summerfest. We were amused yesterday as we realized that Summerfest for this family is bigger than the fourth of July. It has been a tradition since Brian and his siblings were little, and it seems to just be getting stronger and stronger. It is a happy day though, and we didn't let raging wind and bitter cold hold us back! We celebrated all day long!
- The morning started off with a marathon for the boys- no big deal, right? And a kids 1K race for all the kids, including the babies! We waited at Riverwoods for our boys to run by, and it was so exciting to see them. We had signs and donuts and plenty of cheers for our runners.
- I was worried that Brian was going to end up in the ambulance because of his knee injury. He had been training so hard for this race and it was shaping up to possibly be one of his best. He would wake up early before work and run several times a week for months. Then his knee started acting up about a month ago and he couldn't rest it enough to get it better in time. He ran the first 19 miles without pain, but then it set in and he ran the last seven miles while his knee ached with each step. I am proud of him- I was worried he wouldn't finish. I also feel bad for him because he was really looking forward to this race and this really changed it.
- Layla loves to be naked. Whenever she has the chance to be naked, she runs around saying "naked! naked! naked!" doing a little running dance.
- Missy and Ken and their girls are here for from Alaska for a whole month and we are so happy about this! It's been really fun seeing all the cousins play together. Addie and Ellery are two peas in a pod- instant friends! They are very similar and they hold hands all the time and love flowers and princesses and they are just precious! Little Elise can hold her own- actually more than her own- with Sharp and McKay and they have fun playing all sorts of things together. I wish they lived here all the time.
That's all for now! Happy Sunday.
0 comments:
Post a Comment