Sunday, June 17, 2012

thoughts on a sunday



  • This doesn't really look like a girl who had been vomiting all morning, does it?  But sure enough, Ellery burst into my room early Friday morning and said she was going to throw up.  And she did. . .about every 5-10 minutes for a couple hours.  Sadly, this is totally normal for her.  My friend Maurine (hi Maurine!) told me about a disease awhile back called cyclic vomiting syndrome that her little girl has, and after reading about it I am fairly certain that Ellery has it too. I really have a moronic understanding of what this is, but basically certain things can trigger an episode of vomiting, like excitement, anxiety, certain foods, etc...   I don't know what's going on with her lately, but she had an episode last week and then again this week.  Maybe the move?  Meeting new friends?  Cousins and swimming happening?  I don't know.  I am starting to feel like I should take her in and discuss this with an actual doctor, although Maurine, I would love to talk to you more about it. 
  • Ellery is pretty much a pro at throwing up.  We keep a bowl under her bed and she never makes a mess of it.  After a few hours, she is totally normal and ready to eat and run around just like an energetic four year old should.  
  • I am so in love with my new house, but I must admit that it has been very overwhelming for me to live here.  I don't know how to clean such a big space (part of that could be due to summer activities) and I am finding it hard to "complete" any rooms at all because there is so much that we want to do, but don't have enough funds to do it all at once.  Also, Brian has put me in charge of weeding (haven't totally agreed to that yet) and I haven't pulled a single one yet.  So yeah, I'm feeling a little small in this house.  And wondering how I am ever going to keep it clean.
  • We have finished the family room though!  I know it's not healthy, but trying to find an accent chair for this room has caused me such stress and frustration.  Did you know that chairs can be- and most are- more expensive than a couch?  It's true.  I scoured stores in Orem, Salt lake and poured over the internet for hours looking for one stupid chair and the ones I liked were super pricey and the ones that were cheaper were not really what I wanted.  So it was a miracle when I found one at the RC Willey Outlet store in West Jordan.  It was still pricey, but not as much as a couch.  I love it though, and am so happy that the room is done.  We needed at least one room to be done!

 Updated our pillows and our new chair.

  • I have to acknowledge my sweet sister Lisa who came over and helped me get some organizing done and things put away.  She is really talented when it comes to organizing and getting things done.  I'm glad I get to benefit from her skills.
  • So far I have not been sure that we are going to love this ward.  Sometimes, when I'm new, I just assume things about a place/ward/neighborhood.  We met some really nice people at church today, and even noticed some our age-ish, so maybe my assumptions are wrong.  I hope my assumptions were wrong.
  • There is a cute neighbor two houses down named Bett, who gives out candy and cuts flowers from her garden for the kids if they come over.  I love her already.
  • Since we don't have cable, Brian's only program of choice is Pawn Stars.  Any non-cablers notice how that is on ALL the time.  I am sick of it.
  • This week we went to the splash pad in Highland with my sisters.  Splash pads are such a great idea.  The kids love them and I love sitting in the sun on the sidelines.  We got shaved ice after, which is always a good idea in my book.
  • We also went swimming with the Matthews clan on Monday.  I think Layla might love the water more than my other two- and that is a lot.  She could bob up and down in the pool for hours and hours.
  • McKay's two birthday parties were successful.  One was a science party and they made all sorts of weird science-y things and the other was seeing The Lorax.  

Love this bed headed girly.
  • Layla has been taking morning naps this week instead of her usual afternoon.  I don't really mind it, as it has fit into my schedule quite nicely.  
  • Brian and I are alternating weeks spent in the nursery with that little one.  She is not a fan of going solo, at all.  It's pretty annoying, actually.  I hope she gets comfortable soon because the nursery leader is not a fan of just having her cry it out as long as it takes.  I can't blame her, although part of me thinks that would be the fastest way.  Oh well.
  • McKay and Ellery seem to be fighting a lot more lately. I am not happy about this.  I know it's stupid, but I really thought they would be nice to each other forever.  They lasted quite a long time, I know, but those days are over.  Except I am not wanting to accept that!  I am thinking/praying/hoping for a way to teach them otherwise.  I'm sure I'm fighting an uphill battle, but I'm still going to try.
  • Ellery has a boyfriend.  It all happened so fast.  She met him at one of McKay's baseball games.  He's the son of another CRNA who works with Bri, and the brother of one of McKay's teammates.  His name is Adam and he kissed her on the cheek and they spend two games a week together.  
  • Brian and I had a night to ourselves on Friday while our girls had a sleepover at Grammy's and McKay played with the Allred cousins all night.  We went furniture shopping (bought our chair!) and then out to dinner and to a movie.  I don't remember the last movie I saw, probably something at Christmas time, but it was so fun to sit in an actual theatre.  
  • The reason we were kidless for a night was because Brian's sister went to the temple, so we all got to be there early Saturday morning.  It was great to be a part of that experience for her, and we are so excited for Friday when she and Tyler get married!!!

McKay testing out the new toy.
  • I should acknowledge Father's Day.  Brian got a ladder.  Also the kids picked him out some other great things.  We are sure grateful for such a good father in this home.  I'm not sure he was grateful for us, as it was a fairly stressful kid day, but we love him just the same.  

Happy Father's Day Sunday!

0 comments: