Saturday, December 29, 2012

christmas eve ~ 2012

It's funny, going back and doing these posts about Christmas nearly a month after it actually happened. I find myself not having much to write about, and wanting to just let the pictures do the talking.  I know that words are important to document too, so I'm going to try.  I'm just glad I'm writing them down before January is over, given that I just blogged about Christmas 2011 last month.  Definite progress. Here goes:

This year we spent Christmas Eve with Brian's family.  It was tricky trying to get everyone together at the same time, but 2pm on Christmas Eve was the magic hour for us.  So we had a cozy dinner of clam chowder and yummy homemade bread.  




After dinner we had our annual talent show.  


Layla sang Jingle Bells (I think), Jenn and Darrell's family sang Little Drummer Boy- a tribute to her dad who had passed away the week before, Marilyn was angelic on the harp, Lindy did some magic, Silas stood in front of us, Grandad impressed us all by playing a duet with Grandma on the piano, Sharp sang a fun song about Santa, McKay played Away in a Manger, Ellery sang a Christmas song she learned in preschool, Jaynie and Tyler wrote a fun poem/story about Santa's stressful present mix-up, Wayne bounced and Layla joined him, and we all enjoyed the program!  Whew!  That was a long sentence!


After that, the kids acted out the nativity.  I love these pictures.  I love any pictures of our kids doing this.  I imagine that some day I will look back at them and just bawl thinking about how young, innocent and sweet these kids were.  I hope they always stay innocent and sweet, but I know that they won't always be young.  






















We then did what we always do on Christmas Eve- watch How the Grinch Store Christmas.  


This year Grandma made an extra, extra long quilt just for the occasion.  It was exciting to all snuggle up under one giant grinch quilt.  


After visiting for awhile longer, it was time to head home and into bed for these three.  But not before opening their Christmas Eve presents.  It's always pajamas, although it seems like every year they are kind of expecting something else, even though they kind of know they will always be pajamas.  And they get crazy excited like they aren't getting pajamas.  Ellery had a really hard time not opening her present in the middle of the day.  It was a constant question she was asking in desperation all day long, "Please can we open our present right now?"



1 comments:

Lisa said...

I've got an idea. I'll comment on yours and you comment on mine and then we will both feel like someone is reading our blogs. I feel like McKay was in the wrong play. He belongs in Joseph and the multi-colored coat play. And I totally love that quilt. You didn't even tell me about that.