We took a little family vacation to St. George for our warm weather trip. We had so much fun visiting the temple grounds and visitor's center, swimming in the cold hotel pool, going out to eat, celebrating Valentine's day all together, spending a day hiking and driving in Zion's and playing in the red rock park. It was a fun trip. I love traveling with just our little family.
We had fun at the temple- both on the grounds and in the visitor's center. The kids were way excited to see and touch and hug palm trees, and loved running around on the grass. We looked at the beautiful temple where Grandma and Granddad had been married, and remembered the time that Brian and I had visited those grounds ten years earlier on our honeymoon. In the visitors center they gave the kids Mica (I don't know how to spell that), which is what is used to make the St. George temple so white. By the time we left St. George I'm pretty sure all three stones were lost.
It was Valentine's Day while we were down there and so I made sure to bring a little something for my kids. Brian and I didn't do anything for each other...except he bought me a box of See's chocolates, which is one of my favorite things. I shared with everyone. The kids were expecially excited about these chocolate dogs because I gave them to them on V-day in Oregon and they always remembered them. I could only find two at the store, so Layla's didn't have a doghouse, but she didn't care.
One of our favorite activities was visiting the red rock park. It's kind of sad that I can't remember any of the details, but I am writing this way after it happened. I can't remember the name of this park, but it is right on the hill of the city. It was so fun climbing and exploring the rocks, crevices and caves. We could have spent even more time here- the kids loved it.
We spent a day in Zion's, which was really fun. I am always amazed at all Southern Utah has to offer that I haven't even seen before. We went to Weeping Rock, hiked to the start of the Narrow's trail and drove through the heart of the mountain through tunnels with amazing views.
One of the highlights of our time in Zion's was the rock shop. I loved these places when I was a kid, and they remind me of my Nonnie- probably always will. She was always one for a special rock or stone, so this store would have been right up her alley. The kids were mesmerized by the rocks and gems as well, and I insisted that we let them pick something out as a souvenir. This was a very difficult task for McKay and Ellery. It took them probably an hour, especially McKay. Ellery chose a purple crystal rock which I can't remember the name of and was IN LOVE with it. Still is. I talked Layla into choosing a worry stone- another thing that reminds me of Nonnie. I got one too. Layla's is pink and mine is a really cool orange- the color of the red rocks. McKay stewed and stewed, like he does, and finally decided on a little monkey/troll man with a staff. It's tiny and I hope he doesn't lose it, but he was happy with his choice after a lot of stress.
Fun trip. Love our warm weather trip tradition. I can't wait to explore more things with my little crew.











0 comments:
Post a Comment