Sunday, June 8, 2014

a great reason to celebrate

There is no other kindergartner more dedicated to her performance as my Ellery.  This was the biggest deal in her life.  For weeks she would give us little, tiny tidbits of songs she was learning, careful to not give too much away.  She would proudly declare when they had memorized a whole song and trick us by singing the tune but not the "new" words that she had been taught for this special occasion.  

The day finally came- she was ready!  And she sang her little heart out.  She sang and she sang for about twenty minutes...and then it was over.  Just like that.  






Camryn Oborn and Maddie Wisner are Elle's best friends this year, and also the carpool crew.  I am so glad she has sweet little friends.







Luckily, this time I told Grandma and Granddad the right day and time, and they were there to support Elle.  We went to lunch at Costa Vida after to celebrate.  McKay even got checked out to join us.



I am proud of Ellery and the kind of student she is.  As a mom, there are always characteristics that you notice in your children, both good and bad.  I know Ellery has some weaknesses, as we all do, but I also know her strengths.  She is a great student.  Smart, self sufficient, and on her own doesn't cause much trouble.  She is creative and serious and funny and loves affection.  She can be a great leader and is the best older sister to Layla.  

She wants to be good- this can be hard because she wants to be perfect, I see this in her already.  And luckily, most of the time she is good.  I just want her to know that it's okay to make mistakes, that we all do it, and that she is still good despite any mistakes that might come.  I want her to to be confidant in her decisions and her opinions and feelings.  I hope for her good friendships and the ability to make them so.  

I can't believe that she will be in first grade and gone from me all day.  Layla and I will feel that sting for a long time.  It will not be the same without her joining us at noon everyday.  I really dislike having a kindergartner, purely for the fact that every day is broken up into three hour blocks, but at this kindergarten celebration, I couldn't help but wish it would last a little longer.  My kids are just growing up before my very eyes and every so often I step back and notice this phenomenon...this growing up... and it shocks me.  

I'm proud of this growing girl and can't wait to see what the future holds for her.  I still get excited thinking that I get to be her mom through all of that growing up she's doing and will continue to do.  I am lucky to be here.

0 comments: