Thursday, December 20, 2007

"guy nurse"

The other day someone asked me what Brian does.


me: "he's a nurse."

her: "oh. really? you know i know a guy who is a guy nurse. he's totally not what you would expect a guy nurse to be. he's a hunter and just a gruff guy. you would never guess he was a nurse."

me: "hmmm. how 'bout that." as if a masculine man would never be a nurse.

Brian and I always think it's funny how some people just don't know how to react to him being a nurse. Some people act so uncomfortable about it and almost feel stupid and don't know what to say when they find out. It's as if they are embarrassed for us for him being in a field typically occupied by women. But we know that male nurses really aren't that uncommon. It is pretty typical for the male nurses to outnumber the female nurses on Brian's floor.


Some people expect all male nurses to be feminine. They are so surprised to find out that's what he does, because for those of you who know Brian, he is not feminine in the least bit. In fact, sometimes I wish he were more feminine. It would be great if he liked shopping and talking as much as I do! But honestly, how many people have actually met that stereotypical male nurse? I never have. Anyway, we get these reactions all the time, and we just smile because we know they have no idea how many male nurses there really are. Even if it wasn't just a stepping stone for him to get where he wants to be and he stayed an RN forever I would and will never be embarrassed. My baby's a nurse- I'll say it loud and proud!

2 comments:

Simmons Family said...

THis made me laugh. I'm proud of you for screaming it from the rooftops!

Mark said...

Way to go Brian. Woohoo! I can kindof relate I guess...floral and interior designer...I mean, c'mon.