Thursday, December 6, 2007

An inspiring tale...


Well, I made this blog a few weeks ago and I just didn't know how to start it. But thanks to my little McKay, I received inspiration. What better way to kick off our blog than with a pumpkin seed up a two year old's nose?

McKay was eating "tiger food", aka organic trail mix, on the floor as I was feeding Ellery. He was growling and babbling, as tigers often do, while eating his food. I wasn't really paying attention to what he was saying but a few words would stick in my head. "That nut....up my nose...I put it up there...my nose....in my nose..." He was totally calm and still maintaining his tiger persona. As I saw him keep touching his nose I finally put it all together. "McKay, did you stick a nut up your nose?" He casually agreed. Was he just going along with me or did he really do it? I couldn't tell. I grabbed our otoscope and took a look inside and sure enough I saw the tip of a green pumpkin seed stuffed sky high in his left nostril. Great. We headed off to the doctors office to remove the offending seed. When we arrived at the after hours clinic McKay turned into Mr. Pumpkin Seed Personality. He proudly announced to the receptionist that he had "put a pumpkin eater" up his nose. He was running around the waiting room like it was Disneyland. He was thrilled when the nurse called us back to the exam room and couldn't wait to meet the doctor. Well...as you can imagine, extracting a pumpkin seed, or anything for that matter, from your nose is no picnic. By the end he was telling the doctor to go away, had screamed so hard that he popped several blood vessels around his eyes and was worn out from the struggle. Poor kid. The seed was crammed so high up there that the doctor thought he pushed it back into McKay's throat, hopefully causing him to swallow the little bugger. But we don't know for sure since McKay is only two and couldn't tell us. Now I'm supposed to give him nasal spray twice a day and watch for signs of a lingering seed. Ahh the woes of being a tiger.


3 comments:

shannyn said...

That was the best kid story of all time. I was laughing out loud. I'm so glad you decided to do a blog.

Anonymous said...

I'm really glad you have a blog since I never see you anymore even though we keep saying we will be better. But that's a hilarious story. Didn't I ever tell you about when Brooklyn stuffed a dried blueberry up her nose? For future reference...close the clear nostril real tight and blow in his mouth really hard until the seed pops out the nostril. It really works!!!

Mark said...

Sarah, bravo with the blog and the story. I'm glad you are 'blogging' because you are a great writer.