Friday, June 20, 2008

His Favorite Day

I get kind of embarrassed when Brian tells people that Orem Summerfest is his favorite day of the year. I mean really, Christmas, a birthday, 4th of July? Nope, Orem Summerfest tops them all. And in recent years it seems like he's declaring this to more and more people. I just let him and then roll my eyes when he's not looking. No really, I love the day as well, but I'm a 4th of July girl myself.


Well, June 14th came and June 14th went and it was packed full of activities. We started the day off bright and early at the Orem Firefighters 5K race. Brian and I have been running together for the last couple months to get me ready for it. I am trying really, really hard to like running. And honestly I like it more now than when we started, but when I run my teeth feel weird, my ears get cold, I can't take a deep breath and my face gets as red as a tomato...a really ripe tomato. Why would I want to go through all that? Well, because I want to be healthy, I want to lose the tummy flab my babies have so generously left me with, and I really do feel good after I do it. So I made a goal to run this little race.

We dropped the kids off to Brian's mom and we were ready to go. I wasn't really nervous for it because first of all I had trained, and second, three miles is not intimidating to me. I could speed walk three miles if I had to. Luckily I didn't. Brian's only requirement was that we weren't last. I only had to walk for about a minute during the race and my sweet marathon-running husband stayed by my side the whole time. The only disappointing thing was during the run there was this girl who had a really sloppy, loose run and I hated running behind her. It was just not a pleasant sight. We tried to make it a goal to beat "Sloppy" and we almost had her at the end, but when I picked it up, so did she and I was just a few yards too slow for old Sloppy.


Now that I've just written a book on the race, how about some pictures:

Pictures were kind of an afterthought because we're such serious runners.
Sorry, no pictures of my red face. Maybe some other time.


One of the best parts of the race was the prizes we won. Basically everyone who ran the race got a prize. I won a big old backpacking backpack. Just what I need around here...another big backpack. But Brian won this little tent, perfect for Bear and Dog to camp in, and this little shark hat. That's more like it.

2 comments:

shannyn said...

way to go sarah. i have to admit that i truly hate running and i would never be able to run a 5k without stopping. i'm very impressed.

Adrienne said...

I feel the same way about running - especially the whole red face thing. Same thing happens to me. John and I actually just decided a couple weeks ago that we were going to try to go for a 5K or something later this year. Cheer for us!