Thursday, December 4, 2008

tree shopping

We put our tree up yesterday. I felt SO behind. Everyone we know had there Christmas trees up and decorated by the time Thanksgiving weekend was over. It was December third and I was panicking. Doesn't it seem like everyone was extra early this year? My mom was always a "it has to be at least December 1st" person. I could go either way. I guess it depends on the year. This year it was a December 3rd year. It works.

McKay was just a blur running through the lot. He was dodging trees. Weaving. Hiding. Running.



Ellery just kept saying, "Woa!" about everything. The trees. The big blow up Santa. The cars whizzing by on State street. "Woa."


We found one. McKay is jumping for joy.

The tree lady gave the kids candy canes. I wouldn't let Ellery eat hers in the car. McKay was tempting her the whole way home. Stinker.


These two monkeys climbed all over Brian while he set the tree up. But he managed. The tree lady told us to give it seven up and asprin- I guess it's supposed to be the best "first drink" for the tree. I guess we believed her because we did it.


McKay was totally into putting the oranments on. He put most of them on the same two branches. We had to disperse when he wasn't looking. But he sure was proud of himself. Ellery was napping, thankfully. I didn't need her seeing us touching the tree and all the fun stuff on it. I think she'd be even worse with it, if that's possible.



The finished product. The last couple years I've gone shopping the day after Christmas too. Mostly for all the discounted Christmas decorations. Brian will die when he reads this, but I think this year we need something BIG for the tree. Really big balls. Or BIG floral bunches or something. We have a lot of little things, but. . .I guess we'll see what I come home with later. You can almost always add to a Christmas tree, right?


5 comments:

Adrienne said...

Your tree is so much prettier than ours. Yours makes ours look like a Charlie Brown tree. And I totally relate to the bathroom thing with Ellery. It's the same story over here :)

liz hawkins said...

My mom's philosophy is when you get too many decorations for just one tree, buy another. The decos are fabulous! Our 18" fake tree suddenly seems a little...small. I keep telling myself that "next year" we'll have a "good tree"...

Anonymous said...

Ellery is such a beautiful baby!

shannyn said...

i love real christmas tress. john and i decided to go with the fake tree and we ordered it online, i know it is crazy but we did. the thing that sucks is that it isn't going to get here until december 9. sucks big time but what can i do. your tree looks great.

oh and by the way i did see twilight and i too was a little leery of "their" edward when i saw the previews but in the movie he was wonderful. edward is for sure still my boyfriend. it would have been great to see the movie with you. i saw it with my sister who didn't read the books and she couldn't discuss the differences with me. i'm just glad i even got to see the movie.

The Birds said...

I love your tree! Such a fun thing! Preston said he didn't feel that great about his interview on Friday. He said the guy was nice and he felt like he did ok in some areas, but not really strong in others. We have some friends from home who just graduated last week (literally!). They said that when they applied, they got put on the alternate list and they were getting pretty discouraged with it all when finally in April they got a call from UB and said he got in. OH, I SO don't want to have to wait until APRIL!!! And NO, I could NOT live in this condo for 2 more years! I'm so glad you know EXACTLY what I'm going through! It's nice to know someone can appreciate the "unknown" stress for what it's really worth!!! We just found out that another school in Minneapolis won't accept his application because one of his letters of rec. didn't make it on time. Totally stinks, especially because it wasn't his fault! Oh, well, what do you do? Worst part was that we lost the dang NON-refundable application fee!! So, we're one down and feeling kinda out, but he's got one more application for a school in St. Louis that's due by the 23rd. Their interviews are in February, so we'll just keep WAITING! And I think I'm the one who wrote a novel! hee hee! Keep us posted!
~Chandi