Sunday, November 7, 2010

thoughts on a sunday


  •  These two could not have been happier playing out in the rain earlier this week.  They were soaked through and through when they came in, but it was totally worth it.  
  • We are have a problem in our family right now.  Her name is Ellery.  And she keeps getting out of bed and coming into our room at four in the morning.  Or anytime during the night, really.  I really don't know what to do with this little problem.  So it usually ends up sleeping sideways in the middle.  At least I usually get the head.  
  • No, really, our kids have been totally annoying when it comes to bedtime and sleeping.  Ellery keeps getting up at night- because of bad dreams or pee or various creative reasons.  So that's bad enough, but on top of it, they are getting horrible at going to bed.  I always used to shake my head at my sister Lisa's bedtime craziness, but the older my kids get the more I understand that I should not be so judgmental.  My kids have always been really good at going to bed, but now they have learned that they can talk and make each other laugh, and they have all sorts of excuses to get out of bed and come talk to us.  And when it's bedtime I just want to be done!  My work day is over and I wish they could understand that.
  • I  made a chart.  For McKay it's working.  For Elle, it's working a little bit.  
  • My poor husband is sick.  He's sick and he's super busy, which means he doesn't really have time to be sick.  His eyes are like little slits and his face has been in a sort of permanent scowl this week.  It's safe to say that the program has gotten harder, and it's finally as bad as I thought it would be.  He's handling it though and I am proud of him.  
  • My sweet little Layes is such a chub!  She's getting some major rolls on her legs.  Brian doesn't hold her much.  First, because he's so busy.  And second, because she still doesn't like him.  So when he does hold her she usually begins to cry.  This worries me for two reasons.  First, I am raising a baby alone.  And second, just think of the attachment issues she could have if I am THE ONLY human to hold her ever.  I know.
  • I know it's been over two months since I was pregnant, but I still enjoying taking a huge drink of water before bed and having absolutely no consequences because of it.  It will take a long time for that to get old.  
  • I guess it's finally time to admit we have an ant problem.  Mostly because I found one in Layla's diaper. . .while she was wearing it.  Gross.  So gross.  My poor baby.  It didn't seem to bother her at all.  These ants are funny because they are really spread out.  I only ever see one or two in the same area. . .unless there's a crumb on the floor and then there are a few more.  But they seem to just be spread out across our whole family room floor- carpet- and so they are hard to notice unless they are crawling on your blankets or in the neck folds of your baby.  Don't even say anything.  I know!  But what do I do?!  Vacuuming doesn't seem to help.  Maybe they like her because she smells like milk???  Ahhhhhhh!
  • McKay and Elle, unknowingly, got revenge.  They spent a good chunk of the day searching for ants and putting them in a ziplock bag to keep as pets.  They didn't know they wouldn't survive in the bag.  I didn't tell them.  
  • Please don't think bad of me or my baby that I'm raising by myself, because she's had a few ants crawling on her.  Please?    
  • We've still been watching a lot of Beauty and the Beast around here.  The other day McKay asked me, "Mom, do you think Gaston is pretty?"  Um, I don't know.  I guess he looks nice.  "Yeah.  he looks really clean."  Clean?
  • This week McKay taught us how to play toilet paper tag.  You tuck a long piece of toilet paper into the back of your pants and try to rip them out of each other's.  Whoever is the last one with their toilet paper still tucked in wins.  It was actually kind of fun.  Thinking of playing it with my cub scouts...
  • Layla's baby zits are gone and she is so soft and so kissable- all over!  I am so in love with that baby, I can hardly stand it.  
  • Sometimes I feel like my life is spent tidying and then re-tidying my house.  Over and over and over again.  A lot of times I feel like my life is like that, actually.
  • Remember how I lose things?  Well, I don't really like to admit that I do.  But when I lost a merit badge card that someone gave me to give to Brian, and then threw our OMSI membership cards in the trash this week, I had to admit:  I lose things.  This makes me feel irresponsible.  But I'm not.  Only when it comes to handling important or semi-important paperwork.  That's all.
  • Something I've learned about Ellery recently is that she is my indoor girl.  If given the choice to go outside or stay inside with me, she will almost always chose to stay in.  McKay loves to be outside and is always asking to go out, but Elle is content just hanging out indoors.  She'd even rather look out the window and watch McKay play outside.  
  • McKay has been out a lot this week.  It's been nice almost all week and I've been trying to take advantage of it before the rain comes.  I love weather that truly feels like Fall.  Leaves blowing, a chill in the air, but not too cold.  I hope we get more.




Happy Sunday!

4 comments:

Mark and Jana said...

So sorry about the ants. Ant problems are the worst and so hard to get rid of. And it is kind of gross that they are crawling around your baby. I still love her though.

liz hawkins said...

We had ants earlier this year and got rid of them with ant traps. They are pretty effective. Ants are so annoying. Just when you think they're gone, they reappear.

I love the new family picture at the top of your blog. So cute.

Reynolds said...

Sorry about the ants, and the problem child at night. I can relate with the second and it is driving me bonkers since I can't sleep anyway. Think of me when you take your long consequenceless drinks at night...

kim said...

My kids are in the same crazy night routines. Macie ends up on our floor in our room almost every night. She has nightmares, and gets scared, and I have a hard time sending her back in her room when she's scared. I'm wondering if they are night terrors? Between her and Hunter we don't get much sleep around here. I'm sad to hear you're experiencing the same thing. Hopefully our girls will learn to sleep! I'll hope for the both of us :)