Tuesday, November 9, 2010

words are all i've got

I'm usually not a huge "thanker" on my blog.  I'd rather thank someone in person/on the phone or write them a nice note.  But, sometimes there are things you want everyone to know.  And this is one of those times.  We have good parents.  And I want to thank them.

We all debated when the best time for Brian's mom, Adele, to come out for the baby.  Since I had been two weeks early with my other two it was hard to decide the best time to have her here, hoping here time here would include the birth.  We decided the day before McKay's birthday- a Thursday- would be good.  Well, the Tuesday before came and I started having contractions.

When Adele found out I was possibly in labor, she packed a suitcase and prepped herself to drive the thirteen hour drive ALONE.  We called just as she was in the car, still in her garage.  McKay (Sr.) told us what she was up to and we were shocked.  He warned us that she was determined and that we probably wouldn't have any luck talking her out of it.

He handed her the phone.  Brian told her she was crazy.  Brian told her it was unnecessary.  Brian told her we'd be fine on our own.  Her response:  "I've had a feeling that I should come.  Do you want me to ignore a prompting from the Holy Ghost?"  What do you say to that?  McKay was right- there was no changing her mind.

My sweet, strong mother-in-law drove thirteen hours in one day BY HERSELF.  She made it here at about ten o'clock.  I was "laboring" on the couch when she quietly walked in.  She hugged me.  I was so happy and relieved to see her standing in my family room there are just no words to describe it.  Although there were so many who offered to take our kids if we needed it, it is not an easy, comfortable thing. . .especially in the middle of the night.  I was having a hard time asking for help.  A huge weight was lifted off my shoulders.  Huge.

Not only was I relieved about not farming out my kids, but the relief of having someone who loves us physically here with us was also huge.  Although we had felt such strong support and love from our family, we still felt a sense of isolation and loneliness.  It's hard to describe.  It was really good for us to have someone to talk face to face with about all that was going on.  

During the week that Adele was here Brian was extremely busy with school and finals and I was having a baby and getting really sick.  It was a really hard week actually.  I can't even begin to imagine how hard it would have been without her here.  She did everything for McKay and Elle while I was in the hospital and Brian was running back and forth from home to hospital to school.  She did everything for McKay's birthday party when I couldn't.  She did everything for my kids again when Brian and I were visiting doctor after doctor trying to figure out what was wrong with me.  And that's why I am so thankful that she listened to the prompting she had.  We could not have done it without her- that I know.


Thank you Adele, for everything.





* * *  *


My parents were able to come about a week after Adele left.  Although most of the drama had subsided by the time they got here, it was still wonderful to have them.  This was their first trip to see us and I was so happy to be able to show them where I live.  My town.  My home.  I was so glad they got to meet Layla and spend time with the kids.  My mom had double knee surgery in the summer and wasn't expected to be healed by September, but somehow she beat all her physical goals way ahead of schedule and was able to come a lot sooner than we thought.

I'm so glad they were here because we still had several doctors appointments to go to, including my second MRI which I was really nervous about.  It was so nice to have family here to watch the kids and support us.  Sometimes, when you go through something as shocking and scary as we did, you just want your mom and dad.  You just want the people who got you through all the other scary times in your life.  You just want to be someone's kid again and for them to tell you it was going to be alright.  I'm so glad I was able to have that.  It was comforting for me.


Thank you Mom and Dad, for everything.




* * * * *


And there's someone else I can't forget.  My father-in-law.  Oh, how I love him.  He didn't get to come out- but there is no doubt in my mind that he was praying for us everyday.  His prayers are powerful.  And I felt his love and support even though he was far away.  And, he let his wife take off and leave their family for a week to take care of mine.


Thank you McKay, for everything.

note: This baby is not Layla.  It's Ellery.  Layla hasn't met her Grandad quite yet.


Yep, we sure have great parents.

2 comments:

Adele said...

Sarah you are a sweetheart and so are your kids. You are too Brian, in a tough manly way.

Flinders Family said...

Such a perfect day in my world for your post. My dad passed away 7 years ago today and although I'm completely envious of my friends who have their parents still, I'm very grateful for the time I had with mine. It makes me feel good to see you recognize how lucky you are. I hope I get to meet cute Layla some day too. Are you coming out for the holidays at all?