Sunday, January 16, 2011

thoughts on a sunday



The Ducks are a pretty big deal around here right now, so we decided to join in and support/watch them with a "ducks party" as Brian put it.  He was in charge, which means there were salty snacks, salty snacks, and salty snacks.  They didn't win, but we still had fun. 
  • I'm beginning to worry about Brian's emotional health.  Mostly because he's starting to do things in his sleep again.  He's been known to remove pictures from walls and get confused in the night, but it hasn't happened in a long time.  That's why when he was searching for a mouse in our bed the other night I started to wonder how he's doing in there. . .you know, like in his head.  And then a couple nights later he was very concerned about some Christmas wrapping paper on the floor.  
  • I figured out what Ellery's thinks a secret is.  It is just jibberish, but it's always the same jibberish.  "Sa, sa, sa, sa sympony."
  • I can't quite decided how I feel about McKay's most recent career aspirations.  Being the mother of a robber is never something I pictured for myself. . .or my son, for that matter.  I do know that my neighbor who was driving him home when he made the announcement thought it was hilarious.  
  • The other day McKay had his friend Matthew over to play.  Ellery had been asking me to put on Taylor Swift music videos so that she could dance.  She got all changed into a lovely dress, took out her pony tail so her hair could "move" and she was ready to go.  She called up to the boys, who were playing cars upstairs, "Booooys, come down and watch me dance to Taylor Swi-ift."  Matthew didn't even hear her, he was so involved with the cars, but I heard McKay say, "Hey Matthew, do you want to go down and watch my sister dance?" in a mocking, lets-go-make-fun-of-her voice.  "No way!" I said, "You cannot go down and make fun of her.  Just stay up here."  A sad look, "No mom.  I won't make fun of her.  I really want to watch her dance."  So the truth came out.  Matthew, still totally oblivious.  Ellery warming up downstairs, fully confidante that two five year old boys would want nothing more than to sit on the couch and watch her twirl around the room.  And McKay eager to be the audience.  I love everything about this situation.
  • Layla rolled over on Monday!  Now she does it all the time. She can hardly stand to lay on her back now, so it seems.  It's funny, when I would put her on her tummy she would squawk after ten seconds. But now that she can get there herself, she's much more of a tummy time fan.  
  • So now Layla is actually moving.  She's doing something on her own.  Something that took a few months of being alive to figure out how to do.  This makes me feel sentimental.  Wasn't she just born?  Now she's this big baby and all I keep thinking about is the tiny little newborn I had just moments ago.  Wasn't that just barely?  And what if I never get that again?  I might not ever get that again.  I just don't even know how to feel about that.  
  • Something funny.  I've discovered that Brian gets really embarrassed/horrified when I do an accent.  Any kind of accent.  So naturally, I find myself doing them quite frequently.  I'm not very good at accents, and most all of them sound British, even when not intended.  It's a fun little game I like to pull out now and then.  I find it quite entertaining; both making Brian uncomfortable and seeing what brilliant accents come out of my mouth. 
  • A former bishop of ours once gave some great parenting advice.  On the subject of discipline he talked about how if you give consequences with no consistency that your children will never know when you're actually going to take action.  Empty threats.  We've all done them.  Counting to three, then nothing happens.  Going back to two.  Saying, "This is your last chance"  several times.  I am guilty.  And our poor kids don't know when we're going to get serious with our discipline, so how can we expect them to take it serious?  Well, around here we've decided that it's something we have to work on.  They need to know we're serious the first time.  So we've been talking a lot about consequences- what they are, when they will come, etc. . .And the phrase "no chances" and "listen the first time" have been uttered way more than one, two, three lately.  I think it might be working.  It's hard to be consistent, and sometimes we still struggle.  But  making a conscious effort in this area has proved to be quite successful so far.    
  • Brian is leaving this week.  He can't seem to get released from his calling in 11 year old scouts.  I don't want to go on and on because that's boring, but basically they've been meaning to release him for a few months now, and still there he is.  And people keep emailing, and calling, and emailing, and emailing.  The bishopric told him to just pass it on to the other leader.  But guess who doesn't check his email?  Well, it's not Brian.  So, there he is.
  • It's finally feeling like and Oregon winter here.  The last few weeks we've of course had rain, and some days it's been really cold, but we've had lots of sunny days too.  This week there were more gloomy days than sunny and lots of rain- heavy rain.  And so it begins.  Ahh, June seems so far away.
  • Because it's been so gloomy this week, I let my kids watch a movie every day.  Every day.  I don't even feel bad about this.  
  • I am so happy because my little Ellie girl is such a good little player.  She plays by herself for long periods of time and this is something I've never experienced.  I love it.  And since Layla is shaping up to be just like her brother in that department, I'm so grateful for my Elle who will lead Layla around and help her learn to play.  
  • So it's no secret that I was blessed with horrible genetics when it comes to teeth- from both sides!  Before I moved here I went to my long-time dentist and asked him to prepare my teeth for two years of no dental work.  And he did.  But he didn't.  Because when I was pregnant with Layla I got insurance for a little while.  And the dentist went to town in my mouth.  And now I don't have insurance anymore.  As luck would have it, one of my teeth broke, right after my insurance ended.  I won't got into all the boring details, but I will say that I had to wait in a dental office where there may have been homeless patients waiting with me, and I had to wait for three hours before I was seen because you can't make an appointment.  You just have to wait.  I'm a nursing mother, remember.  That was not easy for me to do.  And I was so afraid I was going to walk out of there with a wooden tooth.  Like I really thought I might.  But surprisingly I got a cute fourth year dental student to clean up my tooth and now it looks all shiny and new.  Whew!
  • Oh, and also, when we're done with school and I can have dental insurance again, I will be picking a dentist with more care and more excitement than when I pick our first house.  It's become that big a deal for me..  
  • As if all that talk about my teeth didn't gross you out enough, let me go a little further.  In November I started losing my hair.  Since November, I have been losing a lot of it.  Jana and I are actually having competitions on who is losing the most hair every day.  I don't know why she's still losing hers, but it's not my concern.  My concern is that hair is all over my house- just everywhere- and I may or may not look a little bald up front!  We are all sick of it.  We are all so disgusted.  And I am so sad for my head.  That's all.  
Happy Sundee to ya! (said in my best Irish accent)

0 comments: