I took McKay to the Timpanogos temple a few days before his baptism to for a photo shoot. Now you know that I always love a photo shoot, even though I don't know what I'm doing. But I do always love taking pictures. McKay was not so thrilled, although he was happy to be my model as opposed to being home and in bed. I got some great shots of my precious boy- my eight year old.
It's hard to explain how I feel about McKay. He is growing up so fast. It's kind of surprising really. He is forming opinions of his own. He knows better how to challenge Brian and I- not in a bad way, but in a "I am a person too and this is what I think" way. At the same time he is taking some of our opinions to heart more than ever before- which is kind of scary actually.
He is starting to enjoy teasing his sister, Ellery, more...I wonder where he gets that from- but I also see them working together more and really developing their friendship.
Sometimes I see him interact with friends when he doesn't know I'm watching and I am proud of how respectful and kind he is to others. He is friendly to people and I hear him compliment and encourage people. I also hear him get frustrated and hurt by people. I am sure there are times that he frustrates and hurts people too.
I have watched him proudly join the ranks of cub scouts- running off every Wednesday afternoon with his blue shirt on and his book in hand. It has frustrated me to watch him tediously practice the piano every morning, but I have felt the satisfaction of finally hearing him play a song with both hands and sing along.
I have cheered him on when he figured out the Real Salt Lake song on his own, and cheered even louder when he made a goal for his soccer team, silently saying a prayer of thanks because on the way he "had a feeling" that he'd make a goal that day.
I have seen the pile of books on the floor each morning from the last night's reading session, along with a whole day's worth of mess scattered around the room, and I have teased him about being the junk-food junkie of our family- a title he willingly accepts.
He shares a sweet bond with Layla and I am proud when he treats her with tenderness and love. It is precious- those moments between them. I often see him with many friends, running around our backyard- yelling, sweating, playing. I continue to hear him ask me "the plan for the tomorrow" every. single. night. and eagerly and often times annoyingly anticipate what is coming next.
I see how he looks at his dad- his hero- and how he tries to be just like him. I love their bond, and that they have each other. Sometimes I am sad that I can't give him a brother, because he tells me he is sad about that- but I am glad he has a good dad who loves him and wants to spend time with him and be a good example for him.
He still wants to snuggle me at night, and every morning I see a flash of a skinny body in underwear run into my room and settle in bed right next to me. I thought about these things when I was reading with him in his bed the other night. How long do I have when he will still want to snuggle with me? Maybe two years? I don't know. But when I think of that, it sure makes me rethink being too busy to lay with him at night.
I have heard him talk about his family- his whole big family- with pride and love and joy. He loves being a Matthews, and he loves coming from Fuehrer's. He loves his cousins and aunts and uncles and especially his grandparents.
I have heard this boy pray- seen him kneeling on his bed every night- and talking to his Heavenly Father. I have seen him struggle through reading a verse in his new scriptures every night, and wondered how in the world I am going to help this become a lifelong habit and lifeline for him.
I have most recently seen him make the decision to become a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. This makes my heart full, and my tears come to the surface. I am proud of who he is. I am thankful for him in my life. And I am aware of the ever present need to continue to teach him- both by word and example- so that he can learn what he needs to learn, and be who he needs to be in this world.
I'm proud and grateful to be his mom. I'm grateful that he is patient with me as I try to figure out this parenting thing.
I really love him.
His goodness is visible, his heart is beautiful, his face is adorable and his personality is lovable.
My boy.



0 comments:
Post a Comment