Monday, October 28, 2013

thoughts on a sunday (from last week)



  • After church last Sunday, Layla went right up to her room.  A few minutes later she came bouncing down the stairs and declared, "Mom, I changed!"  So proud of herself and those pink heart socks.  She wasn't too thrilled to have to put some leggings under that mini.
  • I'd love to do a whole post about Ellery's birthday, but that might not happen until next February.  So I'm just going to talk about it here.  It was rough.  Our sweet little Ellery had a really difficult week.  She had several totally unexpected and out of control meltdowns, one of which was on her actual birthday at a friend's house...when I wasn't even there.  This was quite shocking to me that she would have this outburst in someone else's home without any family around.  I got there right after the worst of it and Ellery was being REALLY difficult.  We had planned to go to lunch with two of her friends and their moms.  Well, Ellery didn't know that the moms were coming and that's where the trouble started.  Honestly, she was being so terrible that I would have cancelled the whole thing but the two moms were there are ready to go to lunch...so I felt that would be unfair to them.  But I was super mad at her and it felt terrible to feel that way on her birthday.

  • We went to Costa Vida- her pick- and ended up having a fun lunch with friends.  I'm glad it worked out, because it was not easy to get there!
  • Ahhh, this is not what I planned on writing about Ellery and her birthday.  I talked with Elle as we were driving alone in the car about what had been happening that week.  We discussed how she was dealing with her frustration turned anger.  I figured out by the third outburst that this was a problem with expectations not being met.  When she has an idea of something that's going to happen and it's modified or doesn't live up to what she hoped, she gets super angry and emotional and cannot stop.  We talked about this too and other ways to handle those feelings.  I hope it was helpful, because it really was a hard week, but we haven't had any trouble since, so that gives me a little peace.
  • Okay, so I love Ellery and I know that dealing with things like these is just part of growing up and figuring things out.  Meltdowns and big emotions aside, I am happy to have a six year old girl!  I remember distinctly when Ellery turned four.  I was so sad to say goodbye to that three year old girl.  But looking at her now I am just excited.  I love that she's six and she's learning to read, she's going to school, she's obsessed with coloring and she still loves to snuggle.  I love that she likes to help me cook and that she is obsessed with stuffed animals.  I love that she sleeps in the longest, eats the healthiest and is the shyest of all my kids.  I love that she's a huge BYU fan and that her favorite gift this year was her very own BYU shirt.  She's just a sweetie and I'm so glad she's mine.



  • Another really great gift that Ellery got this year was from Grandma.  Several years ago when Grandma came to visit us in Oregon, she brought Ellery and McKay pajamas.  She had made Ellery the sweetest, most precious, light pink, silk night gown.  Ellery loved it so much, but I was kind of obsessed with it.  It was just really special to me that Adele made it and that it looked so old-fashioned and feminine.  Sadly last year it disappeared without us realizing it and then one day we found it- tangled up in the greasy underside of the rocking chair in the girls room.  It had rips and grease all over it.  It was ruined.  I was so sad....so with Elle's birthday coming up I asked Adele if she would make her another one.  That Grandma did more than just that.  She made one for Annie Jane- Ellery's bear- and that was just about the best thing she could have done.  Ellery was thrilled.  Such a thoughtful gift from her Grandma.   



  • One of my beehives, Amber, asked if she could take Layla to a preschool day her class was having at the jr. high.  I talked this up for weeks to Layla- the day she was going to school!  She was so excited and marched right off with Amber like a big, huge, grown up girl.  She was in school for just under two hours, and she loved it all.  She was so proud of herself.



  • McKay finally got his bobcat bead or patch or belt loop or whatever one gets when one completes their bobcat.  I think it was a belt look.  I got a pin, I know that for sure!  He is loving cub scouts.  I am friends with one of his den leaders and she tells me all the time how sweet he is...and how many questions he asks!  This is something I've been hearing a lot from different people who teach McKay.  She said that she loves him because he really, really wants to know the answers to everything he asks and his eyes are just huge and he's so into what you're saying.  I know that face and I know those eyes and I love him for it.  His school teacher and soccer coach have said the same thing.  His coach marvels at him because he feels like McKay is really listening to him and wanting to learn what he's telling him to do.  My little inquisitive boy.
  • So, yeah, McKay has totally become obsessed with sports.  I didn't know this was happening, but now he is not only loving to play soccer, he is wanting to watch sports over cartoons on Saturday mornings.  What?  When did this happen?  He and Brian have been watching some games together and Bri will even let McKay stay up past bedtime to keep watching.  He is a fan.
  • He loves to play soccer.  He's disappointed that his team hasn't won a game, except for one he missed.  Thank goodness he made a goal this season.  He's obsessed with those two things.  Now if we can just get a win in before the season ends...



  • Sometimes I forget the easiest way to entertain this child.  A bathtub.  It gives me at least an hour...maybe more.  And the songs that come out of her while she's in the tub?  Amazing.

Happy Sunday.

0 comments: