Sunday, December 29, 2013

ollie


The first week of December Grammy and Poppy went on vacation and so we got to dog sit Ollie for a week.  The kids, especially Ellery, had been looking forward to it for a long time.  

We were lucky enough that it was warm enough for a couple days that we could walk him to school.  I have come to learn that pretty much the most important thing about having a pet is showing them off.  So this walking thing worked out nicely for my kids.  Ellery brought him to her line.  Those kindergartners went crazy.




Ollie and Zeek hit it off right away.  




The kids had fun playing with Ollie...but honestly lost interest after a couple days.  I felt bad for him a lot of the time, like I had to entertain him or he would be too bored.  I remembered that was a feeling I didn't like when we first got him.  It's just...they are always there.  Like all the time.  And he followed me around everywhere- which I kind of loved, and then it also kind of tired me out.  I never got tired of him following me down to the basement though- I love having a buddy for that.  

I found myself outside at night playing with him because he had been cooped up for hours at a time when we'd been out.  Again, liked playing with him because he's such a spazz, but hated having to worry about him getting out and running around.  




He was really good though- such a sweet dog- and except for the chewing, he was easy enough to have around.  We lost a few figurines- Ursula, Randall from Monsters Inc, and a wiseman from our fisher price nativity.  He's sneaky and all the sudden there would be little plastic bits all over the place and Ursula would be gone.  



It makes complete sense to me now when people say that the mother needs to want to the dog more than anybody else.  That is true.  I was happy to have a week with him, but happy to bring him home to his old parents who really, really love him.  

We'll dog sit any time though- that I can handle.

0 comments: