- Today McKay fasted for the first time. Brian and I wanted to do a family home evening lesson on fasting before we encouraged him to fast, and somehow that took us three months to do. We would forget and then fast Sunday would come and we just didn't feel like he could fast without a purposeful discussion with us about it. So last week we finally did it. I used an object lesson that the kids loved and I hope they always remember. I gave them a spoonful of peanut butter and talked about how that represented fasting. It tasted good and it was a nice thing to have. Then I gave them a chocolate chip and told them it represented prayer. They ate the chocolate chips and thought it was delicious. I talked about how fasting, or going without eating, is not a bad thing- it's good to learn self control and to give up food, and that it's following a commandment. And prayer is good on its own too- just like chocolate. Chocolate/prayer can be used with many other things to make it even better. Just like putting peanut butter and chocolate together is even more delicious than the two of them on their own, adding prayer to fasting makes it that much better. They were totally into it and I love when that happens in a FHE lesson, because it usually doesn't.
- I did not come up with that idea. I wish I had. Being creative is so easy thanks to the internet. Sometimes that can be a bad thing. Moving on...
- So back to McKay. Today was the day he fasted! Ellery insisted on joining it too- and decided to fast for Brian's cousin Jeni, who is dying of cancer. Sweetest little thing, that girl. We told McKay that we were fasting for uncle Trevor to find a job, and asked him what he'd like to fast for. He first said Baby Rock, then finding out that Rock was doing great, he said Aunt Jaynie. Since Jaynie is doing better too, we told him to think some more. Finally, after a few other inapplicable suggestions, he decided to fast for Jeni.
- It was sweet, as he was saying his personal prayers that night, he prayed for a miracle for Jeni and that she would get better and feel good. I had to explain to him that she didn't want us to pray for a miracle- that she knew she was going to die- and that she wanted us to pray for strength, peace and comfort for her and her family during this terrible time. It was hard for him to understand this, and hard for me to explain to my faith-filled son why he didn't need to pray for a miracle. I hope I did a good enough explanation and that he will still believe in miracles and pray for them.
- He is such a sweet boy. I am feeling his goodness a lot lately. He mentions his morning prayers and has started reading the scripture readers at night for his personal study. Reading scriptures has never come easy for me- it takes great effort from me to make this a habit and routine in my life. I wish it was easier. But that makes me have more resolve to teach my children the importance of it and help them incorporate it into their routines when they are little. And hopefully, most of the time I can also be a good example to them too. So that's why when I see my little son get excited about reading the scriptures I am happy. And he is excited.
- So this morning two things happened. Ellery caved as soon as Layla's oatmeal came out of the microwave and decided that she will postpone her fast until she is eight. And McKay had a hint of panic in his eyes as the girls were eating. Brian told him it was easier to not be around the food, and to go upstairs. He did. During sacrament meeting he was savoring each little drop of the water. At one point he went out to go to the bathroom and before leaving asked if he could get a drink. I left it up to him. When he came back, he reported that he just stuck his tongue in the drinking fountain water, but did not drink it. I can relate to that.
- We have church at nine a.m. What is this child going to do when it's at one?
- I'm proud of him and it was fun to teach such a basic but important Gospel principle to our boy.
- Ellery had quite a traumatic day at church today. All the women were in relief society today, so the men were subbing all over the place, including Ellery's primary class. Soon after the third hour meeting started I got called into the hallway. There stood my little Elle, in her purple dress, with tears streaming down her terrified face. Brother Anderson stood beside her and told me that she was having a hard time without her teacher, Sister Riss. I sat down with her and asked her why she was so scared and upset. "I was afraid they were going to steal me." was her reply. Hmmm. We talked it over and decided that they definitely were not going to steal her and I sent her back into her class. She survived.
- Brian got to sub in nursery today and hang out with Laysie Lou.
- A couple days ago Layla was running around topless. Upon feeling her chest, she ran up to me and said, "Mom! My nibble- it's ruined!" I covered those nibbles right up with a shirt.
- There is a popular song that we like called Royal. There is a line that says, "You can call me queen bee." McKay has been singing it, "You can call me green bean," and was mystified upon hearing the real lyrics. This made me laugh very hard.
- During family home evening the other night during family business, McKay raised his hand and as serious as can be said, "So my new goal is to be a BYU football player, and then play for REAL Salt Lake." I'm glad he informed the family.
- Our manner of the week the last couple weeks has been to look people in the eye when talking to them. Ellery has taken this completely to heart. She is looking all sorts of people in the eye, and reminds me when I'm not looking at her.
- We picked out a Christmas tree yesterday. It was quite an affair. We were this close to getting a flocked tree, but Brian wouldn't' stop going on about 1992, and so I decided it wasn't worth hearing him whine. I did pick a sparse, layered tree that I wanted though- after some mild convincing of the kids to vote with me. I really love the look of these trees, which I learned are called Alpine Firs, but it might not be the best tree for our ornaments. There is a lot less room to hang things, and the branches are not as sturdy as other trees, so it was tricky to get it all to fit and to not drag it all down. That's okay though- I still like it. But next year we might go back to our Noble Firs.
- We are dogsitting for my parents this week. So far, Ollie has been great, and I haven't stepped in any pee yet- so we're already doing better than the last time he was here. Having him here brings up some emotions for me. First, I'm remembering how confusing, embarrassing and troubling those first few days with him were. Second, I am sad to see Ollie and McKay together because I realize that I took away something that would have been great for him. And third, I am realizing that I think my parents love their dogs more than me. They have called to check on him twice now, and he's only been here just over 24 hours.
- He's a cute pup though, and they've trained him nicely. He's very obedient and they kids are having a lot of fun with him here. This might be the best way to have a dog- a week here and there! I can do that!
- No pictures in this post because that takes so much time. I just can't.
- Thanksgiving was this week. We had a nice meal at Lisa's house. I made green bean casserole, which I have never made before, and a pecan pie. I enjoy making pecan pie on Thanksgiving because I really like it. So I have made it the last three years. I think that a lot of people are scared of pecan pie and think that they don't like it. I used to be. But it's good, so I will continue to make it on Thanksgiving.
- My sisters and I went shopping on Black Friday. With many die-hard shoppers going out on Brown Thursday, Friday is quite relaxing. Sure, we were at Smith's Marketplace at 5:30 in the morning, but there weren't crazy crowds, we didn't get trampled and we got a huge chunk of our Christmas shopping done. I love this tradition with my sisters.
- McKay went to the dentist this week because a filling had fallen out. There was decay and so he had to get another silver tooth. I feel so guilty. Brian and Elle have been high-fiving about their "strong" teeth and I've resorted to talking about the joys of laughing gas and high-fiving over soft teeth. We brush and floss- it's all about genetics people.
- McKay was really funny on laughing gas. It was a little disturbing to see him like that. He said he was flying around the room.
- Today Brian signed up for the 50 mile trail run. He was super excited about truly committing himself to this race. I am nervous for the training and I think he's nuts. I am happy that he's happy about it though.
- Brian went to South Bend, Indiana to see BYU play Notre Dame last week. I think it was last week. Ken, his dad, and Aunt Shauna went too. Brian loved it- even though it was super cold- and is already planning a trip back with little Mack someday. I was happy that he got to go do something fun with people he loves.
I did it! Happy Sunday.
0 comments:
Post a Comment