Sunday, January 4, 2009

got me a sunbeam


Alright, lets just talk about some church related business here. First, my boy is a sunbeam. This morning he was running around in circles, he was so excited. And then the nerves set in- right about lunch time. He had a melt down when Brian made a Mickey Mouse sandwich with ears that were too small. We quickly realized that he was feeling anxious and it was coming out on Mickey, or Brian I guess. He got excited again once we got to church and we spied on him a few times and although he was sitting as still as a statue, he looked like he was surviving. When he came waltzing out of his class with a crown on I could tell he felt pretty good about himself being a sunbeam. In fact, he's been telling everyone he sees that he's a sunbeam.

I'm feeling like I can't believe that my child is in "big primary," as McKay would say. Time sure does fly.

In other news, our stake boundaries were realigned tonight. Our ward was completely obliterated and a small section of our old ward is now in a different ward. Major changes in the whole stake. I've already cried about it, which I kind of am shocked by, but then I'm just feeling really sad, so I guess not all that shocked. Changes like this are just difficult for me. And then I just keep thinking about my sunbeam. How will he understand going to a different building, with different kids in his class and only a handful of people he recognizes? Everyone keeps saying that kids adapt easily and I know he'll be okay, but I guess I just feel bad for him. He had his own little world in our ward. And now that world doesn't exist anymore. So I know he'll adjust fast, surely faster than Brian and I will, but I still feel sad that we have to make this adjustment. We've been in this ward for five years and it's just hard knowing that we probably won't see most of our old ward again. And also, Brian and I are shy. And sometimes when we're shy we seem mean- especially Brian, bless him. So that's a concern of mine too. Is this getting boring? How about a story to cheer things up a bit?

Last week we were sitting in sacrament meeting in front of a young dad and two of his boys. One of the boys looked up and said, "You're a great dad." The dad then looked down at his boy and said, "You're a great son." Tender. McKay witnessed this interaction between father and son. He looked over at Brian and said, "Dad. I want to do what they did." Brian was trying to figure out what McKay was referring to when he said, "Dad, you're a great dad." Brian, not having heard the original conversation, said, "You're a great boy." McKay immediately and seriously corrected him and said, "No! Say 'You're a great son." Brian obliged and McKay was happy with the staged tender moment they shared.

6 comments:

Turbo said...

Wow! That is one sharp dressing Sunbeam ;)

shannyn said...

to start with i just wanted to say mckay has always been the best dressed kid in that ward and speaking of the ward what the heck happened? my aspen 4th ward no longer exists as i know it? where did they divide it? i can't believe if i came back to visit it won't be the same.

Mark and Jana said...

How cute that that he got anxious. I love that sunbeam. He is one special boy.

Reynolds said...

Oh, that picture is a keeper! How fun. Just FYI, he did loosen up and smile a bit toward the end of primary. I am so sad that I won't get to see him in primary! McKay is a very observant boy.
I'm still reeling because of the changes. Just talked to vicki crabb and she said she and the bishop sat down last night and they are both dying about it. (Not that they don't support the change, but it was so abrupt for them. Not a lot of closure.)

The Birds said...

I think McKay is the most handsome Sunbeam I've ever seen!!!! What a ladies man he is in that suit! We do need to get he and Madalyn together! Ha Ha! And, I love what you wrote about ward changes. We had been in our old ward for over six years and LOVED every minute of it. It's one of the many reasons we haven't moved out of this condo!! I was currently serving as the Primary President and just in the last few months I had finally gotten to the point where I LOVED my calling. I kept begging the Bishop NOT to release me!! I was coming up on three years and hoping I'd get to stay in until we moved. But, without any warning at all, it's over. I cried too, don't worry! Also, Madalyn will god to Sunbeams for the first time this Sunday, in a building she's never been in and with kids she won't even know. I'm feeling SO sad her for her. I'm sure she'll be fine, but I'm the one having a hard time. I was so excited for her to be in "Big Primary", as she also calls it! Anyway, I know exactly how you're feeling! But, seems how you loved your old ward and part of them are now in our new ward, hopefully we'll love it too! Good luck on Sunday!
~Chandi

Flinders Family said...

McKay is so handsome and so grown up! To me, he is still the same little McKay he was when we moved out of the ward. Okay, the ward! You need to fill me in. I'm totally all about a girls night and getting some dessert. Let's do it! We'll talk soon!