Thursday, January 1, 2009

new year

I know a lot of people steer clear of New Year's resolutions, Brian included. Waste of time. They hardly ever get kept. There's an influx of resolutioning through January, and by March you've forgotten what they even were. That's how Brian thinks of it. My sweet, optimistic Brian. Love him. But. I disagree- although I think he's right about the March thing. I remember during the time in my life that I attended a "gym", which happens to have been last year. No, I guess not last year. The year before that. Anyway, it was so annoying because we had been going to a class regularly for months and in January all the sudden the gym exploded! There were people on every machine. Classes were packed- you had to go early if you wanted to use weights. I was shocked. And then, after a few months, it was normal again. Funny people. Why do we do this? But now I'm way off track. My point is that I'm not calling them New Year's resolutions, but I don't see the harm in trying to improve you. . .your life. . .your home. . .your relationships. How can that be a bad thing? I figure that if you set several goals or improvements to make and even if just one sticks all year through- isn't that worth it? If you can make one positive change in your life then why not start out with a list and see what happens. That's what I'm doing. Here's a few of mine:

  • Read to my kids everyday- even if it's just for ten minutes
  • Organize/go through every drawer, cupboard, corner and shelf in my house
  • Learn how to use photoshop
  • Go to bed earlier - this is my most important one- the one I really need to stick!
  • Get all our pictures on cds
  • Catch up on all the photobooks I've been meaning to make
  • Get ready in the morning before McKay wakes up- so hard!
  • Stop complaining about my stomach and maybe do something about it. or maybe just stop complaining.
  • Read Jesus the Christ - Whoa! I know.
  • Eat more vegetables
  • Have "school" with McKay at least a few times a week
  • Be more productive with my time
  • Serve without complaining

And about a dozen more!

Happy New Year everyone! I'm excited for 2009- could be our most adventurous year yet. . . then again, could not. Who knows? I'm dying to!

2 comments:

Mark and Jana said...

I hear ya. Although I must admit, I'm going to be one of those people who is now making the gym more crowded...one of my goals is to get in better shape.

I hope this year I can do better too!

Turbo said...

Good luck!