Wednesday, March 25, 2009

boys club

In my house it's becoming normal to be excluded. McKay gets a look in his eye. He gets a voice. He'll look at Brian and say, "Dad, we're boys, huh?" and then callously look over at me like I'm nothing.

He gets this way when he feels bonded to Brian over something that I don't like, do, or try to contest. Peeing standing up? Boys Club. Playing guitar? Boys Club. Jazz game? Boys Club. Beards? Boys Club. Chips and salsa? Boys Club.


(This is what the Boys Club does when I ask to take a picture)

The latest instigator is music. More specifically The Avett Brothers.


(image found here)

Brian found these guys a couple months ago and has been listening to them ever since. Consequently, McKay has become really into them as well. You know, Boys Club. Brian made the mistake? of showing McKay a video of them on YouTube a couple weeks ago. This took McKay's interest to a whole new level.


You guys know my son enough by now that you know he's hardly ever McKay. Lately, we've had Seth Avett around a lot. Seth Avett has a big old beard. And Seth plays the guitar and sings very seriously.



Although I'm not a member of Boys Club, I'm still quite a fan. Here they are singing their favorite song, which McKay requests often. Brian will hate this picture, but I think it's precious. And the best part is that McKay knows all the words. There's nothing cuter than hearing a three year old with such an adult song stuck in his head.
(By the way, Mack's favorite is Backwards with Time if anyone's interested)




Luckily I have this girl to keep me company. She's not allowed in the club either. We've got to stick together around here, her and I.



Avett Brothers. . .out.

6 comments:

Reynolds said...

That little paper beard made my day. I think you should post a "music video" of boys club. It'd be entertaining.

shannyn said...

i love that mckay and brian have things that just the two the them do. i wish john and jack did more just the two of them. i love the beard. did you make that yourself?

The Birds said...

This is too cute! I LOVE his beard! And I LOVE how you write! We've been crazy - as usual! And, we're headed out of town again for a couple of weeks on Wed. but do you guys want to come over on Tuesday to play? I won't have my nephews and I'm sure Madalyn would LOVE to have someone to boss around on her own turf - hee hee! Just let me know what works for you. If you can't come this week, I'll get in touch with you when we get back into town after Easter.
~Chandi

Molly and Jason said...

How come I love McKay so much! I think he is hilarious and I love the stories you tell about him. And I LOVE The beard Sar! Nice work!

Kate said...

Yeah, me too, aside from my own kids, McKay is my favorite. So sweet and completely hilarious. Will you add Jess to view your blog. I always want to tell her to look at things, but she can't. Her email is dustinrogers@yahoo. Thanks.

Monica said...

The curly paper beard is killing me.