The other night I ran to the grocery store to get some milk. It was about nine o'clock when I got home. Brian was laying on the couch watching a basketball game. Typical. I set my bags on the counter and began taking my coat off. Brian casually looked over at me and said,
"What are you doing in September?"
A suspicious look came across my face. "Why?"
"Do you want to move to Portland with me?"
Then I started screaming and jumping around. Brian was still just laying on the couch, but I could see a pretty huge smile across his face. He didn't get up and jump with me, so I had to jump on him. Then I thought, "What if he's messing with me?" and I had to make him swear he was serious. He actually got the call. And then I screamed some more in a pillow, because our kids were asleep.
Brian has been accepted to the Oregon Health and Science University(OHSU) Nursing Anesthesia graduate program. We are moving to Portland in September. WE ARE MOVING TO PORTLAND IN SEPTEMBER! Oh my goodness!
I am feeling so relieved. Anyone who knows me well knows that this whole waiting period has been driving me a little bit crazy. Not knowing our future. Not knowing whether we're moving or staying. Not knowing if our plans will be delayed. I'm a planner. It was killing me. And now we know. And after I stopped jumping, I started thinking. I started thinking about what this all meant. We will be leaving our tiny condo, which I am SO ready to leave, but at the same time, it's still home. It's the house we brought both our babies home to. It's been our home for five years. And I like it. A little sad. I started thinking about moving away from our families. Our parents. Our siblings. Cousins. Our family. A lot sad. I started thinking about the rough two years we have ahead of us with an insane workload for Brian. Scary. Then I thought about being in a new state, a new town, not knowing anybody. A lot scary.
But then I thought about how lovely Oregon is and how much it seems to be the very best place for us to go. And I thought about how all three of my sisters and I have the same cell phone network. And I thought about how we are moving forward with our plans. And I thought about how good this could be for me and Brian- two Utah kids on their own, out in the world. And I thought about how we can probably rent a bigger house than we have now, with a yard, and a garage. And I felt happy. Really, really happy. And still scared. But happy.
And the "rumour" (for you Lisa) is that Brian and I will love Oregon so much that we won't ever come back. I don't know. I kind of like our families a lot. And McKay kind of needs his grandmas. And Brian kind of has to run marathons with his dad. And I kind of can't be the only sister who lives away. But who knows, maybe Oregon will win us over.
13 comments:
Congratulations, you guys. That is awesome news.
Hooray for you guys! Isn't it nice to finally know so you can plan? That is totally how I felt when we were waiting to find out what school we were going to.
You will love it there and make new friends fast. It is always good to go away and have an adventure for a while.
That's awesome! What a fun adventure for your family.
holy crap, i'm so happy, excited and nervous for you. i know how you feel sarah the waiting in limbo sucks. i'm sad that you guys aren't coming here but happy he got into that program in oregon. i have a sister who lives in portland so if i ever get up there to visit her hopefully we can meet up too. congrats you guys.
This is great news! Congrats to both of you. Moving away from family is difficult, especially in the beginning, but it's also a great experience. You'll make friends quickly and I'm sure you'll soon realize you already know people there (like Todd Groesbeck and some of my Darby cousins). I'm so excited for you!
You will love leaving the nest! ...and miss it too. We were in Seattle a bit after we left LA and love the NW--it is BEAUTIFUL! And the Oregon coast gorgeous! You'll have to plan all of your family trips out there--no worries, people will be clawing to come visit and you get to "show off" how pretty it is! (Just tell them to come between June and October:)).
Yeah! You finally got to tell everyone. But not yeah you will be leaving us.
Congrats! That is so exciting! Oregon is absolutely gorgeous!
Yea!!!! How exciting! Moving and being your own family is such a good opportunity for a young family!
Wow! This is what I get for not looking at your blog very often or not calling you every time I drive past the condos and think of you. I'm really excited for you guys though. I'm so excited that you have a plan and congratulations to Brian too. But, wow! I'm kind of in shock. I will miss you SO much! Funny how all 4 of us from the condos will be in 4 different states in just a matter of 2 years. I'm really sad. I'm really going to miss you. Wow! But, maybe this will be a good excuse for a road trip. We are always up for a good road trip. Congratulations! Let's make sure to get at least one more dessert night in before you leave!
congrats sarah! that is so exciting for both of you-I am only sad I had not read this post before I saw you today. I am a little behind on my blogging...
It will be so exciting to be in a new place-I am like you I would love to be on my own sometime since we have always lived here, but it scares me so much at the same time.
Oregon is beautiful-so I hear-and I am sure you will love it. ryan is currently looking at the pictures on your blog telling me that it is him, daddy and mommy. all the blonde hair is confusing to him.
It was fun to see you:)
Oh My Gosh!!! How exciting...Can I just say that you are going to LOVE your experience. Yes, it is hard to be away from family, but it is the best thing that you will ever do for your relationship. I am kind of a little jealous, we almost moved to Portland before we moved to Colorado, it is BEAUTIFUL there. Keep us posted!
Congrats! Now you'll only be 3 hours from Seattle:)
Post a Comment