Thursday, April 23, 2009

sweet baby girl

We went in for Ellery's 18 month well child checkup yesterday and so I thought I'd take this opportunity to do a list of what my girl's up to.

  • In the elevator on the way up to the appointment, a lady looked at Ellery and she fell completely apart. Couldn't stop crying. You'd think she pinched her or something. It was funny/embarrassing.
  • Dr. said we can start giving her time outs in a chair. Also said that putting her back in the chair 100-200 times is normal at first. 200? Um, right...
  • Time to get rid of the souci. I'm feeling sad for her about it. She only has it in bed, but oh how she loves it.
  • This girl is proving to be very different in temperament than her brother. She is feisty, sassy and wants what she wants when she wants it.
  • She surprises me with a new word practically every day. I can't even count how many she can say. But her voice is so precious and little and sweet and I just love it.
  • We are learning to share around here. Ellery has no concept, or wants no concept, of sharing with her brother. He is usually very patient with her. She is not at all patient with him.
  • On the way to my parent's house the other day McKay and I were counting. He stopped in the middle and said, "mom, Elle can count too!" Sure enough she was counting right along with us. I had no idea.
  • We are getting seriously attached. The other day we went outside to play with some neighbor friends and they said hi to her. She pointed at me and repeatedly said "mommy. mommy. mommy. mommy," poking me each time as if to say to make sure they knew she was with me.
  • She is not interested in taking baths, but always says she wants to when I ask her so she can run around naked.
  • She is now allowed in the nursery. We went in on Sunday and lasted two minutes. I'll have to share my wonderful Sunday experience in another post, but it's safe to say that Brian will be hanging in the nursery. . .probably until we move.
  • Elle has discovered how to turn on her bedroom light while in her crib at night. I hear the click of the switch and then she starts saying, "Oh no! Oh no!"
  • She loves bird watching.
  • She still has diarrhea. What are the rules on talking about your children's bowels on your blog? Long story made short- Ellery has been drinking soy milk since she turned one because of a milk intolerance. . .or so we thought. Now it's looking like it could be a gluten allergy- which is in everything. I am kind of freaking out at the thought of a nearly vegetarian household wiping out a whole other food group (wheat) and feeling sad for my girl and for my laundry.
  • On a brighter note, she goes around the house singing twinkle, twinkle all the time. I could die it's so cute.
  • She dances by running around in a circle- around and around- and is so proud of this lone dance move.
  • Since Easter, she thinks every candy is called "egg".

She may be feisty, but we couldn't love our little Ellie-girl more.

5 comments:

Mark and Jana said...

You didn't tell me about the gluten allergy??? How sad for her and for you. I just love her though. And she does have the cutest, sweetest, softest voice. I love it when she says "bye".

the buff and stuff said...

what the runs OH NO, for the both of you! sarah this post makes me excited and sad at the same time. i wish i could watch this little girl become a big girl, i wish she could come to my house and play, we all love a good dance around here. i also now that she and peyte would be two little peas in a pod. I MISS YOU!! please move to texas after grad school. i refuse to let my dream die.

Reynolds said...

We'll have to chat about the timeouts. I started to tell you about what our ped. said, but got sidetracked. Love Elles little nose.

Monica said...

If she does have celiac disease, I know tons of companies that make really good gluten-free products. And some websites with lots of gluten-free recipes.

Kate said...

I love Elle, too. I love how she and Nash are little twins, but couldn't be more opposite in personality. Case in point: Nash's vocabulary still consists of about 5 words.