Tonight I let my kids stay up a little later than usual and they watched the first twenty minutes of Dancing with the Stars with me. McKay was watching quite intently, and then we had the following exchange:
McKay: Mom! That girl's kinda naked, huh?
Me: Yep, she isn't very modest is she?
McKay: Yeah! And she's kinda pretty!
How do you teach modesty to a three year old boy? He spent the next few minutes condemning those who were "kinda naked" on the show, which is most of them, and I found myself getting into judging others and how dancers wear costumes and how those girls don't know the things we know about modesty. It all happened so fast. It was getting too heavy and complicated and definitely confusing my poor three year old.
What happened to the days when modesty meant that McKay couldn't run around the house naked?
All I know is I don't think I'll be letting him stay up for that show again. I guess I can be glad that he didn't want to wear one of the sparkly costumes this time, like he did when he was two after aunt Marilyn's dance concert.
And, I got some pretty good snuggling as we were watching the "kinda naked" girls. I can't complain about that.
Monday, April 6, 2009
thank you, edyta
Posted by
Sarah
at
Monday, April 06, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Hi Sarah!
I found your blog through Jana's and I wanted to say hi. Your kids are so grown up and sooo cute. I haven't seen them since Jana's wedding. You look so great too. One of these days, I would love to go to lunch with you and Jana again. :)
Oh that is hilarious! This subject is so hard for me too! How do you teach them not to judge, but also to have high standards?
Post a Comment