My husband does amazing things. I could list all of the amazing things he's done, but I really get uncomfortable being too mushy, so I'll just say that I've been proud many times of the remarkable things he's accomplished.
But it's not often that I get to actually see him do amazing things- referring now to the amazing accomplishment of running marathons. Out of the nine marathons Brian has run, it was only on Saturday that I actually got to be there as he ran across the finish line. I was amazed, inspired and incredibly proud.
For those of you who have always known Brian as a runner, let me enlighten you on his past a little bit. Brian didn't run. Hated it, or said he did anyway. It wasn't until the year we were married, 2003, that he got the running bug.
My sister Jana talked us all into running the Freedom Run 5K on the fourth of July. Brian decided after this little race that he didn't actually hate running. After that we started a little running club with my dad. Long story short, me and my dad quit the running club long ago, but Brian kept going. Shortly after the dissolving of the running club, Brian started running with his dad and they've been running together ever since. Six years now!
Now, back to Saturday. Brian, his dad and brother Ken ran the Ogden Marathon.
Lindy, Missy, Elise and Addie drove up with us to watch our runners. We found a spot as close to the finish line as we could and waited for a familiar face to run by.
I love this picture of Elle.
The oh-so helpful Lindy anxiously awaiting their arrival. She was nice enough to be the official photographer- most of these photos are hers.
Here are the marathoners!
After a few chocolate covered raisins and some much needed hydration, Brian was off again.
This time running the kids race with little Mack. 
Please let me just tell you how serious my boy was. He, obviously, very easily gets into the character of whatever he is doing, and running this race was no different. He was running so hard and with such concentration that he ran right by us- screaming and cheering his name on the sidelines.
Brian had to stop him and point us out. That finish line was in sight and he was going for it! The announcer at the end actually noticed the pure joy and pride on McKay's face and made a comment about his huge grin. As soon as they crossed the finish line McKay looked up at Brian and said, "Did I win?" Well, no, but he did it all by himself and we were sure proud of him.
My boys. I was pretty impressed with Brian for running another mile right after he'd run 26! What a sweet daddy. He didn't get the time he wanted and he felt really frustrated about that, but after the races I just kept looking at him, feeling so proud and impressed. And he even looked pretty cute all sweaty and salty!
I am so glad I got to go and see these guys run. They really are amazing.
5 comments:
I love it-- "Did I win?" So cute. Also, glad you gave me the credit for giving Brian the running bug. What would he have done without me!!
That looks like it was a really good time. I hope that we can run together, next time they come out to the east coast.
that face of McKay's is one in a million! how often do we get that look of pure joy on camera?! I hope maybe I'll catch the running bug someday. right now it's just a chore.
Ditto to Adrienne's comments. I am almost inspired to run. (Almost, I guess jogging or speed walking are more my thing?)
Hey Sarah, I hope that you don't mind if I use one of your photos in an Examiner article that I'm doing for this weekend. I'll credit you as the photographer. Let me know if you would rather not have me use it. Thanks! --Jake
Post a Comment