Tuesday, September 15, 2009

the concert that changed my mind

I'm having this internal struggle. I can't decide if I feel entirely comfortable proclaiming to the blog world that I like the Avett Brothers. Remember this post? It was strictly a boys club thing. And I mean strictly.

Brian had been waiting for them to come to SLC all summer, and the week before we moved we headed up North to see them play. I was not excited at all for the concert, but I wasn't dreading it either. But it was totally for Brian. The Avett Brothers are officially Brian's favorite "band" or whatever you call them.



You know how after you hear something repeatedly, it starts sounding good to you? I guess that happened a little bit to me. And so when they played songs I knew at the concert I kind of enjoyed it. And I have to say, these guys put on a pretty fun show. They each played about five instruments each and would just jump around from guitar, to piano, to drums to banjo- often times switching instruments during the same song, or playing two at the same time. It's funny, they play so hard, that there are about six guitars and/or banjos waiting on the side of the stage for when they break a string, which happened several times. It was also pretty cool to see the cello player dancing around while playing this folky music. I really like their lyrics. I asked Brian to write me a song about me and love and feelings, but to make it cool and not cheesy. I don't know if he's working on it or not. Anyway, their songs are really honest and emotional. And I like that.


I'm not a musical person. I so wish I was, but my mom wouldn't let me take piano lessons after my three sisters dropped out before me. So music is not necessarily something I'm an expert at, or passionate about. But seeing these guys do what they did was pretty amazing and entertaining even for me. I was impressed, and surprised both myself and Brian when at the end of the concert I had had a really good time.


But there's only one problem. After the show, I kind of wanted one of them to be my boyfriend. I've told you before about my boyfriends. And these guys definitely had the talent to be counted among them. But the looks? Um. . .shoot.

3 comments:

stephanielynn said...

I'm loving them right now! Now I'm curious about which one you wanted as your boyfriend...?

Turbo said...

That is a great shot of you guys. Nice reach ;)

stephanielynn said...

I thought you guys might want to listen to the new album a little early: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=112973444