Monday, September 7, 2009

finding normal


Hi. We're alive! We have had a pretty crazy few weeks, and I'm amazed I was even able to blog the last few posts that I did. I have so many pictures to post and things to say about our summer and the funny things my kids are doing and to be honest it's stressing me out. It's much funner to blog as you go along, and not get backed up. I'm working on it. Anyway, we made it! We sold our house the day before we starting packing, which was such a relief. Funny thing, we had no offers all summer, and then in one day there were four different offers being put together! It was crazy. We took the cash offer, which is why we can say that we know legally and officially have no ties to our condo. It's all said and done already, which is also a huge relief.


We've been in Oregon for six days now. We're settling in, slowly, but more and more everyday. It's been a pretty hectic, stressful, yet totally unscheduled week. There have been several unforeseen hiccups like cat hair all over the house (getting the carpets cleaned on Thursday), a leak in the bathroom sink, our computer got a virus (sorry if you opened that email from us), no hot water- yes, we're taking cold showers. . .well, I am. Brian is totally wimpy when it comes to cold showers. I feel so much stronger than him! He has been boiling water for him and the kids to bathe in. It makes me smile when I see him bring pot after pot up to the bathtub, although really, not having hot water is nothing to smile about. That and the cat hair have been really frustrating. And then the homesickness. We're all feeling it a little. McKay is especially feeling it. He has been extremely disobedient and quick to anger. This has also been extremely frustrating. When we ask him why he's acting that way he says, "Because I want to go home. To our real home." I am really surprised that he can recognize why he's acting out. The last few days he's been better, which is good.


Ellery has been adorable, until Saturday night when she started throwing up and had a fever of 103.4. She was so sick I thought she was going to die. But I think I tend to worry that Elle is going to die a lot when she's sick. She was really, really sick though. Just laid around and slept for 24 hours. She didn't even want baby Kate. And just imagine, please, your baby throwing up all over her hair at five in the morning and having no hot water to wash it out with. Yep.


She is now back to her adorable self and for some reason Oregon has brought out the sentences in this girl. She is saying so many sentences. We're kind of in love, me and her.


I am doing okay. I have a few sad moments everyday, and it hasn't been easy, but I can see the big picture and I know it's going to be great. It will be nice when McKay is in school (Wednesday!) and we have a bit of a routine to go on. It's hard to have nothing that you have to do. We're all just waiting to see what our regular routine is going to be like. . .we're trying to find our normal. I'm expecting it to take awhile.


So as not to sound too negative, there are some things I already love about Oregon. I love our neighborhood. There is a great playground across the street and walking paths going all through the streets. I love the trees. I love our view. I love that Oregon has no sales tax. We've been taking advantage of that one as I am typing on a brand new laptop that we just got today. You don't even want to know the shape that our old one was in. I love having a bigger house with more storage. I love the huge windows we have upstairs. I love hearing the rain lying in my bed. I love having a garage and a little backyard. I love the stores here. I went to Burlington tonight (feeling slightly embarrassed that I always blog about shopping at Ross and Burlington) and the store was huge and I found a few treasures for Ellery. There's also beautiful Target that has all the clearance kids clothes that my heart desires. You knew I was cheap, didn't you? I also love the feeling of being on our own. Like really, truly all on our own. And although this is the same thing that makes me feel pangs of loneliness, I love it just the same. We're learning and growing and I can feel it happening. And that's a good thing.

9 comments:

Jenn said...

Glad everything is going relatively well. We miss you guys!

Anonymous said...

OH your going to make me cry! The part where Ellery was sick got me the most! It sounds beautiful in Oregon! MIss you already!

Adele said...

I miss you guys so much! That picture really got me. Those are such cute children you have. I'm glad Mack is settling in now.

shannyn said...

so good to hear from you guys again. i was wondering how it all went. i'm to hear that you are getting settled. that really stinks about ellery. i'm glad she is better now. can't wait to see pictures of the new place.

The Pingels said...

The NW will grow on you! If you are looking for something good to do, take a day trip to Multnomah (sp?) Falls. Its really fun! Good luck with settling in, it will take some time, but you will end up loving it by the time he is done with school.

Reynolds said...

So glad you made it, sorry that it has been hard. I can relate to not feeling pulled together after a move, but feeling good about it nonetheless. I am thinking about you guys and sending all the positive "hot water and good routine" type thoughts your way.

Kristen said...

Yay for Oregon. Except I really hope you get hot water soon, I think I would totally be a wimp. Except, you know that cold water does great things for your hair! So that's a plus. (Thanks chemistry teacher Nozawa).
I've been thinking about you, so I'm happy to read your post. It's funny because I woke up this morning thinking, me and Mark should move somewhere, just to have a challenge and a new experience to grow through. and then you explained all that.
I think you need to post pics of your house. Did you buy or are you renting?
Sorry I should have just emailed.
What kind of laptop did you get? fun.

Molly and Jason said...

Sarah! I'm so glad to finally get an update. I've been dying to know how you guys are doing! I am laughing about Brian and hot water. Although- I think that might be me. I'm a wimp. I think about you all the time. It can only get better from here right?! I can't wait to hear about McKay's school. Hopefully that will help lift his spirits a little.

Lindy said...

I miss ALL of you. Brian, Sarah, McKay and Ellery. I am glad though that you will someday be rich. 77 days until I see you again. Or I'll just say November.