Sunday, May 9, 2010

thoughts on a sunday



After a yummy dinner of homemade lasagna, we went on a Sunday walk. . .until it rained.
  • For family home evening this week we played Simon Says.  When it was my turn to be Simon, I decided to have them hop like a bunny while wiggling their tails, and making a bunny face.  I almost died laughing at Brian being a bunny, wiggling his tail and making a bunny face.  I then had them flap like a bird while jumping around in circles.  My goal was not to get them out, but to just keep watching Brian do silly things that I ordered him to do.  It was fun for me.
  • We were in line to use the bathroom at the library.  The little girl who was ahead of us was taking a long time and her mom kept telling her to hurry because there was another little boy waiting to go to the bathroom (McKay).  Finally, she finished, and as McKay was standing there doing his thing he said, "I'm sure glad that I don't have to use my bottom to pee like girls do- they sure take a loooong time to go potty."  And so he's realized.
  • This week in the mail we got three pieces of exciting mail.  Not bills, junk or advertisements- but real, personal mail from people we know.  It makes me want to write more letters to the people I love because how great it is to open your mailbox and see someone's handwriting greeting you in the mailbox?  Priceless.  By the way Lindy, when McKay opened his letter he whispered, "wow," in complete amazement.
  • I have started walking.  I had stopped exercising all together the last couple months, and I was feeling it. Can I just say that being in shape before and while you're pregnant is such a good idea.  I was in great shape (for me) while pregnant with Ellery and boy can I tell a difference.  It is just a better experience all around.  This last year- with not knowing our future plans, a busy church calling, selling a house, moving and starting from scratch in a new town- I gained weight.  I like to have all those excuses as to why it happened, it makes me feel better!  Anyway, then I got pregnant on top of that extra weight.  And I wonder if that is why this pregnancy has been harder on me.  So now I'm walking so I can feel better!  So far it's working!    
  • On one of my evening walks this week I passed four deer in the middle of the street in a neighborhood.  I had never been that close to deer before and it was pretty cool.  They didn't even seem scared of me.
  • I can feel this baby move a lot now.  She has started dancing on my bladder regularly.
  • Ellery and I are in love.
  • Don't worry, Brian just did two spinals this week.  Yep, on real patients.  He also was excited to show me a fully stocked epidural tray (okay, no meds, but all the rest).  I was interested as long as he didn't show me the big needle.  He really wanted to show me so that I could be an "informed consumer".  I told him that he was informed enough for the both of us.  He showed me anyway.  I screamed and covered my eyes.  I might be mad at him in a few months.  It's really big.  I wish I didn't know how big.
  • Whenever we tell Ellery not to do something she gets really mad and says, "No. Don't say that!"  It doesn't ever work for her, but it sure makes me smile.  We actually find it hard to discipline her though, maybe because she's always been our little baby and I feel like she's not old enough.  She is totally old enough.  She can be a little stinker.  Mostly when I want her to come to me.  She just smiles at me and knows that I can't make her come unless I get up.  She usually waits until I get up.
  • At dinner the other night McKay had a very inquisitive and serious look on his face.  He announced that he had an important question.  As serious as can be he asked, "So, I was wondering, when are we going to get a dog?"
  • You are looking at the proud owner of a Silpat mat.  Happy mother's day to me.
  • There is nothing better than a freshly cut pineapple.  I could possibly eat a whole one by myself in one sitting.  One of my very favorite things to eat.
  • This morning, while snuggling in bed, McKay asked, "When are we going to get our zoo vaccines?"  
  • I had a nice mother's day with my sweet family.  I always tear up when I see my little boy singing to me in Sacrament meeting, and today was not exception. . .except, I couldn't actually see him, he was behind the pulpit.  Anyway, I've been thinking a lot about how lucky I am to have my two beautiful children and that I get to be their mother.  I once heard someone say that mother's day should not be a day off, but a day to enjoy being a mother to your kids and reflect on how blessed we are as mothers.  I like that idea, and although I did get some "time off" today, I sure enjoyed being with my kids and counting my blessings.  I love them.  
Happy Mother's day!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

awww! You look so cute, and so much like Lisa!

The Pingels said...

Cute belly! BTW I have never seen the epidural needle either, but Scott basically passed out while watching my last one. He said by the time I was stuck the third time with the needle, it got to be a little much for him, and he was luckily caught by a nurse before he collapsed to the floor. Scary needles!!!!

Lindy said...

I'm glad he liked the letter. I couldn't resist sending him that awesome truck. I'm excited about this baby. You are a good mom. Love you.

kim said...

You're got such a cute little belly! I love it! :) And good for you for walking--I got motivated and did it for about a month, and now that motivation is out the window--maybe you will motivate me to start again--which I need to know what kind of stroller you have? I've been looking for one like that.

Cason and Marie said...

What a cute belly!!