1. Swimming. . .in luxury
We were lucky enough to get to swim at this pool.
Which belongs to a friend of Brian's dad.
We barbecued.
The kids went fishing.
I floated on a raft and just laid there. . .
which I haven't done in I don't know how long.
Most of us wore sunscreen.
Some of us didn't.
Several of us got severe sunburns.
Sunscreen or not.
McKay was a swimming fool.
But got completely exhausted after awhile.
So on went the floaties
and so did my peace of mind.
Ellery just bobbed in the water like a little fish.
And we all had a wonderful time.
And don't even worry about us smelling like chlorine.
It was a salt water pool.
No big deal.
2. Playing at Grandma's
Wish I had more pictures of this.
We just hung out. . .which is one of our favorite things to do at Grandma's.
Cousins played.
Ellery discovered Pretty, Pretty Princess and was in heaven.
And also found two constant companions
named sweetie pie and yellow.
Adele made delicious meals, snacks and desserts.
And McKay, too.
The kids had fun jumping on the tramp,
And going on walks with Grandma.
Every morning McKay would ignore us,
and go right up to find Grandma.
The kids had fun jumping on the tramp,
And going on walks with Grandma.
Every morning McKay would ignore us,
and go right up to find Grandma.
We played lots of games.
And had two wonderful Sundays together.
3. Greeting the Golfers
The boys played golf.
And we met them at the fifth hole.
Complete with pizza and Propel.
The kids were so excited.
My cousin also came into town.
And the family gathered to greet her and watch SYTYCD.
Nonnie gave out licorice.
I forgot to serve the rootbeer floats.
4. The Land

It feels kind of funny to say, "we went to The Land" to people who aren't in the family.
"The Land" means we went to Thunder Mountain. . .
which means we went camping.
A zip line was put up.
Cousins played.
Cousins got dirty.
Chili-cheese sandwiches were devoured.
And Uncle Alex was initiated into the family officially.
There were go-kart races.
Four wheeler rides.
And plenty of treats to keep us busy.
Also, my wonderful parents-in-law
let my pregnant body sleep in their bed in their trailer.
I love them.

5. Grammy's

We had a swimming party at Grammy's.
It felt SO good to be out in the sun.
To even see the sun.
Mom made gourmet sandwiches for lunch.
While I made the kids crusty pb&j. . .
which they didn't even care to eat.
Too busy splashing around.
Got to go out to dinner with mom and dad.
Ate WAY too many rolls at Texas Roadhouse.
Nonnie and McKay were best friends.
And read book after book after book together.
We also got a visit from an ice cream truck.
Which perhaps was the best thing to ever happen to McKay.
Mom treated me to some much needed hair care and some maternity clothes.
Loved visiting with Nonnie, Grammy and Poppy.
6. The best day of the year (aka Orem Summerfest)

Brian's favorite day did not disappoint.
Except it was a wee bit cold.
But the rain let up when we needed it to.
So we can't complain too much.
Except I did complain a lot that it was raining in Utah.
Because that is what I left behind in Portland.
The day started off with a fun race.
For Jenn, Alex, McKay Sr. and Bri.
The kids were very involved in cheering all the runners.
And we celebrated with donuts from Macy's.
As always, McKay secured a wonderful spot at the parade.
And Ellery LOVED waiving at all the princesses.
McKay was serious about collecting candy.
And of course Brian caught a tie.
And then, fireworks.
What a wonderful day.
It's no wonder the family holds it so dear.
7. Minnetonka Cave

Joined the Roylances for a tour of this cave.
There were a million steps.
Maybe more like 800, but still.
Brian hiked up and down this cave all while holding Ellery in his arms.
I don't know how he did that.
Jana and Mark thought that Carson died somewhere in the middle.
And checked for breathing when we finally emerged into daylight.
Brian and Mack stayed with the tour guide.
as he led a group in complete darkness with only a rail to hold.
We saw a moose on the way down the canyon.
It was exciting.
8. The Cabin

Jana and Mark graciously hosted us at the cabin.
It almost didn't happen. . .
due to the stomach flu going around the family.
But they finally made it up, and no one else got sick.
Perhaps due to the heavy sanitizing going on.
And lots of prayers.
We had a campfire.
With giant marshmallows.
Played games.
Ate snacks.
And just enjoyed being together.
Thank you Jana and Mark.
It was a lovely weekend.
which also involved. . .
9. Shake your booty
Someone brought up a dancing game.
I don't have a Wii so I don't know what it was called.
But I just want you to guess who totally rocked
And won this game.
Brian.
And me.
I never knew we had such secret dancing talent.
My dad was pretty good too.
And the Allred kids know the routines by heart.
It was funny.
Funniest to see the men dancing to the Rocky theme.
McKay was so proud of us for winning.
We kept telling him, "You won third!"
And as long as the word "won" was in there,
he was happy.
Look at those moves.
I married a dance genius.
10. Bear Lake
I love this lake.
The color shocks and delights me every time.
We had a picnic lunch
and stayed all day.
McKay wanted to be burried so he was just a head.
And sweet Ellery wanted to help bury him.
So she dumped a bucket of sand on his face.
And that's when it became not fun anymore.
Trevor took us all out on the boat.
And a few skied.
But mostly we sat on the beach,
played in the sand and shallow water,
And enjoyed the sunshine.
And of course the raspberry shakes afterward helped too.
So that was our trip in pictures and as few words as I could manage. It was wonderful. We love our families and thank them for hanging out with us, feeding us, and having fun with us while we are in town. It means so much to us to visit and spend time with those we love and miss so much.
And now. . .for perhaps the biggest highlight of the trip for me, as the front seat passenger, I give you a bonus.
11. Sleeping Children
I got so angry on the way down.
Because during fourteen hours on the road.
My children slept zero of those.
No dozing, no naps, no nothing.
And that's getting up several hours earlier than usual.
It made me crazy. . .like really a little crazy.
So on the way home I was determined that they would sleep.
And the ticket was not giving in to their every request.
And designating "rest time".
Where mom and dad wouldn't hand them anything.
Or even talk to them.
I was such a happy momma.
Two hours of bliss. . .
except that baby dancing on my bladder.





3 comments:
That looks like a pretty awesome time. Makes me miss the outdoors.
So much fun! I miss you guys.
what a great post. love all the pics. lets do it all again!!!!!!
Post a Comment