Saturday, December 4, 2010

sugar high


So, lets pretend that it's not almost two months past Ellery's birthday, okay?

Because if we do that, then I won't feel bad that I haven't blogged about her party.

It's no secret that Ellery is all about the Disney princesses, but she had a few little boy friends to invite to her party, so I was trying to think of something she would love that would be good for girls and boys.  My friend Adrienne did a cute Candyland themed party for her daughter, which was so cute- you should see the cake she made- and so that's what I went with.  Ellery was easily talked into it. . .mostly because Candyland has a princess and a queen.


I had a lot of fun planning this party. . .except that it kind of totally stressed me out.  So then it turned to be not so fun.  Every time I've done a birthday party I am just amazed at the ease in which my sister Lisa plans a party for each of her kids every year and they always turn out so cute and she continually swears they are "so easy."  I don't believe her and I don't like planning birthday parties.

I was excited, however, about the invitations.
You can't get much simpler than a Candyland playing card.  




I spent about ten dollars at the Dollar Store for decorations, including all the tissue paper candies.  These were so cute and easy- just tissue wrapped around two paper plates and tied at the ends.  We hung and stuck these candies all over the house!





Brian made the banister into suckers.  Isn't he clever?  




I decided to do a game or activity for every Candyland character, and after the game they got a corresponding treat.  They colored a picture of Gloppy and got pudding cups.  We played pass the sucker to music and whoever was holding it when the music stopped got the sucker.  That was Lolly's game, naturally.  They got to drink their juice from one of Lord Licorice's licorice straws and throw gum drops in a bowl for Jolly.  Mr. Mint lost his mints all over my house and they got to hunt for them and Grandma Nut had a roaring game of Nut, Nut, Goose and gave out Nutter Butters.  Kind Kandy made sure each child got a toothbrush at the end because boy, oh boy, that's a lot of candy!  


*Please note that Brian was in charge of taking photos of the party in action.  Also note, we have hardly any photos of the party in action that doesn't primarily showcase a bad angle of a child's back.  Sadness.  I do love him though.



Clockwise starting at 9 o'clock: Brandon Murray, McKay, Talan Thompson, Halle Hendrickson, McKenzie Hendrickson, Dax Nelson, Blayke Gardiner, McKenna Thompson, Ellery Jane.



Queen Frostine (who is now Princess Frostine. . .but she'll always be the queen to me) had ice cream cone cupcakes for everyone and let me tell you, they were not pretty.  At all.  She didn't do a very good job.  She thought they would be simple and easy, but she kind of ruined them.  At least the kids didn't notice and they still tasted good.  It worked.  She will probably do a better job next time.



Ellery loved her Candyland party and although it was pretty chaotic, I'm so glad she has such sweet little friends to share it with.  After it was all over I felt a little sad because I didn't feel like the kids were quite old enough to understand some of the games I had planned.  Either that or my house is too small and there was too many of them.  But overall, I would say it was a success.  If the birthday girl is happy with it, that's all that mattes, right?  


And do you think I felt guilty for sending these kids home with a big bag of sugar right before Halloween?

A little.

1 comments:

Mark and Jana said...

That was so cute. I'm very impressed....with everything. The invites were really cute and love the decor.


I am stressed already for my children. You and Lisa are both very talented. What am I to do?