Tuesday, December 14, 2010

a tuba christmas

Like true Oregonians we braved the rain last Saturday and went down to Pioneer Square in Portland to be a part of a Tuba Christmas.

This is an event where hundreds of tuba players gather in the heart of the city and play Christmas carols.  Don't be jealous.
It was fun!  Tubas are really big and tuba players are really passionate about tuba Christmas.  McKay was totally into it and we loved watching the tuba players turn their instruments upside down to empty out all the rain water.  Ellery didn't love it as much because she was cold, and soon after we got there her Daddy took her to get hot chocolate at Starbucks.  They were waiting in there for nearly the whole concert, which was probably best.  But they returned with Salted Caramel hot chocolate and let me tell you, it was SO good.  Get some.





After warming up with our hot chocolate we headed to the mall.  The kids loved looking at all the impressive Christmas decorations and throwing pennies in the fountain.  We then noticed that there was no line to see Santa!  On a Saturday?!  They hopped right on his lap and McKay couldn't decide what to tell him.  Ellery was absolutely positive that she wanted new princesses and wasn't shy about telling him so.  





Layla even stepped in for a photo.  Santa looks drunk.

Can I tell you a funny story about this situation?  Before we left I told Brian I wanted to do the kids hair and put McKay in cuter clothes (Brian got him dressed) in case we saw Santa- for the picture.  He assured me that the line would be too long and talked me out of changing them into more photo-with-santa appropriate clothing.  Who's totally bugged?  ME!

Okay, moving on. . .





We did a little tiny bit of shopping and then noticed snow up ahead.  The mall had snow foam bubbles falling down from the upper level.  The kids loved it.  






We had such a great day!  I was proud of us for actually doing something downtown on a Saturday.  I love it down there and I wish we went more often.  It's so close and there's so much to do and see.  I told Brian on the way home that we are going to start taking advantage of living next to such a cool city.  We love it.

0 comments: