Brian just left for his last week as a SRNA at Seattle Children's. Five days left. I cannot believe we are finally at this point. It felt so much better saying goodbye to him tonight, knowing this would be the last time we had to. The kids didn't even cry. Well, McKay tried really hard to, but even he couldn't fake it for very long. We are so happy that we will soon be able to live like a normal family again.
This being my last week as a single parent has caused me to reflect on how very blessed I have been during the last year. It has been difficult, horrible at times, and lonely but we did it. We got through it. I have to acknowledge my loving Heavenly Father- I know I was being watched over, helped and lifted.
It was difficult, especially in the beginning, to be alone all day and night with the kids. There were days that my patience ran so thin and I didn't know what to do. So many times I would get a thought in my head, "Read to your kids." This would sometimes happen at times when I just wanted to run up to my room and shut the door and let them fend for themselves and I couldn't possibly imagine how reading to them would fix anything. I am here to say that I know those were inspired thoughts. Every single time I stopped whatever we were doing and just read books to them when I heard that whispering I felt better, they felt better and everything was better. It was such a simple thing, but it really brought back the spirit of love and patience into our home. I am so grateful for those promptings.
There was not one night that I was afraid of being alone. To me this is quite remarkable. I am not an overly scared person, but to be alone as much as I have been and to not even have my thoughts go in the wrong direction one time? That was a huge blessing given to me.
I was, however, afraid that there would be medical emergencies with the kids in the middle of the night that I would have to deal with alone. Aside from a couple fevers and our usual vomiting antics, nothing happened. I am so grateful that this fear was in vain. Again, I count myself very blessed and have felt watched over. It's one thing to just say that, but I really believe that. I felt it. I know it. We were watched over during this time and my heart is so full thinking of the gratitude I feel for my Heavenly Father. He heard my prayers. He answered them. He was with us.
So very glad that I don't have to see that man go out the door again with a suitcase and that stupid blue cooler.
People have told me repeatedly that they could never do what I've been doing. I always answer the same- "I can't either. But I have to." That's why I'm so grateful tonight- my last yucky Sunday night. I know I couldn't have done it alone.
And I didn't.
5 comments:
Well said Sarah. I love you.
Yeah! You did it. I loved this post. It brought back so many memories of the time Joel was gone for three months. I am so grateful to know that Heavenly Father loves us and is aware of our needs.
Are you going to Utah for Christmas? We'll be there and would love to get together! Maybe a little 14th Ward reunion??
Sarah just the idea that there is a chance you might end up here in Arizona is so exciting to me. I don't live in Gilbert but that is where my sister, brother and sister in law live, so pretty much that is where I'm trying to get. I live in anthem. When do you guys move? And where Re you going until you guys get job? Let me know
I seriously did a sigh of relief for you when I read that you are in the home stretch... So happy and inspired by you. I hate being the parent at home when kids are crazy so I am impressed by everything you've blogged. It would be fun if you were in UT. Maybe we can sneak a little get together when you come for the holidays!
First, I love your idea of reading to them when I'd rather hide under the bed. Inspiration. Thank you :)
Second, I love what you said at the end, "I have to." So true. That's the best attitude. Just do it and try to do it well.
Third, I admire you for being the kind of mom you are. Like I've said before, you are one of the moms I think of when I'm trying to be a good mom.
Post a Comment