Sunday, November 27, 2011

a really long prayer



McKay (laying in bed):  Mo-om.

Me (calling from the other room):  What McKay?

McKay:  I just said a really long prayer.  Like really long.  I said thank you for lots of things and my heart is beating really fast. It kind of feels ticklish.  I just can't stop smiling.  I feel so happy right now.

Me (going into his room):  That was the Holy Ghost you felt sweetie.  That's  really great that you felt those things.  That feeling was from Heavenly Father.

McKay:  (beaming)  Can I tell dad?

I am so humbled and grateful by this little experience.  One thing I am really trying to teach my children is that they can pray whenever, wherever they are and for whatever reason (except when they pray that we will go to Disneyland tomorrow- not sure what to say to that one).  I try to take the time to pray with them in the everyday situations that come up in their little lives, not just at bedtime, so that they will really know that He is there, that He cares for them, and that they can pray to Him as they try to navigate their way through this life.  I know they will need Him.

I am lacking in so many areas as a parent, but teaching my children to use prayer in their lives is something I feel so strongly about- something I am so conscious of as I am with them.  I know how valuable it will be, and how much they will need it.  

Don't get me wrong- we have a long way to go.  Their prayers are usually the same few things every night, McKay is usually staring me straight in the eyes during his personal prayers and Ellery will pray to get out of time outs and that she won't get in trouble- we have a lot to work on- but nothing makes me happier than when they ask me to say a little prayer with them.  Content and reverence will come with maturity, but I always want them knowing where to turn and when.

0 comments: