My sweet dad drove us to (June) and home from (September) Utah last year so I didn't have to do it on my own with my three little kiddies. He is such a sweetheart.
One thing I have learned about traveling with this man is that he likes to stop and smell the roses. . .the roses being little local restaurants, and smelling being eating at them. He also enjoys some pretty interesting gas station snacks as well. Have you ever been travelling with someone who came out of the gas station with a huge smile on his face, only to have him reveal spicy lima beans as the treasure he found inside. . .and chose to buy? I have.
It took a little longer, sure, but these little stops made the trips a lot of fun. On one particular trip he wanted to stop at VooDoo. We may have driven the wrong way down a one way street, we may have gotten lost, we may have been a tad bit stressed out, but we got our donuts!
One the other trip I swore we were going to run out of gas somewhere in the Idaho nowhere towns, but we found a tiny little cafe run by that old lady in the picture below. I so wish I could remember her name, but I cannot. We got to try the world's best cinnamon rolls, but we decided that they weren't the world's best. Just okay.
My dad was very intent on letting the kids swim each at the hotel each night after a long day of driving. If it had been up to me, I would have skipped swimming, but Poppy knew how much they would love it and made it happen. They were lucky he was there.
Also, my dad is the king of athletic wear. I have discovered upon looking at these pictures that he prefers to wear light neon green sports wear when he travels. That's okay, I prefer my black yoga pants. We all have our favorites.
(look how small my laysie is?!)
I so enjoyed the long hours in the car that we got to talk, just me and him. It was fun to have him all to myself for a couple days, and I am so very grateful for a dad who sacrifices so much to help me. I'm also grateful for a dad who picks up all of the gas along the way. . .and the hotels. . .and the cafes.
He's the best.
2 comments:
This post made me laugh. Gotta love our Dad.
This post is my dad to a tee, even down to the sportswear. Although, my dad prefers navy. :)
Post a Comment