Monday, August 27, 2012

there's a first grader around here


This boy started first grade last week.  He was pretty excited.  He was also pretty nervous.  As we were walking to school, he kept saying his tummy didn't feel good.  At one point, he asked if he could get in the stroller.  I looked at him and said, "You really want me to push you in a stroller to first grade?"  He decided maybe not and kept walking.  

He is in Mrs. McKell's class, who we've heard great things about, and so far she seems great.  When we went to meet her before school started he was pleased to see that she is a Star Wars fan.  It's the theme of their classroom, so he was pumped about that.  He also got a school shirt which he wore for about three days straight (I pick my battles).  He is so excited to be a grizzly!

  A few noteworthy things about his first week in school:

After his first day when we asked how his teacher was, his response:  "She's heaven."

When we went in for his assessment his teacher allowed him to pick a desk.  He is super excited to be at a real desk, rather than a table like in Kindergarten, so this was quite serious stuff, picking a desk.  I could tell the wheels were turning as he studied the desk placement all around the room.  His teacher then started reading off a few names of desks that had already been chosen.  She read four girls on one grouping of desks, which had one open spot left, as well as some others.  Guess what he chose?  Yep, I'm pretty sure he was concentrating so hard on which desk was the best that he didn't even think about his neighbors.  He hasn't complained about being the only boy in the purple group though.  Maybe it was intentional after all???

He is way into school lunch.  He doesn't like to know what it is ahead of time- he wants it to be a surprise each day.  When he gets home his lunch recap is one of only a few details I hear about.  He ate fish sticks one day!  That's a first.

Sometimes I think of what a big deal it is to be a first child.  You have to do everything first.  First things can be really scary.  As the youngest, I never had to be first.  I am amazed at all you firsts out there, along with my boy, because it's not easy to go first.  I'm proud of him!

1 comments:

Sarah and Desmond said...

One of my besties daughters, Kwynn, is in his class. :)
Why have we not gotten together? We are too close.