Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Feeling Sentimental

(yes Buffy & I are pregnant in this picture, & yes she was due two months before me. Sick, huh?)

In July I said goodbye to Becky. She gave me almost six months of preparation, plus she wasn't moving too far away so it wasn't too bad. Besides, I was busy being "crazy pregnant lady" checking things off my three page long to-do list to really feel the hurt of Becky leaving us. I do miss living next door to this girl though- she was quite a fun neighbor! She is one of the most creative people I know and has the ability to be completely busy all the time and still have a smile on her face like it's no big deal. I wish I could be as easy going and laid back as she is. Her new neighbors are very lucky to have her- she's a handy girl to know! I'm at least glad I still get to see her.

Buffy was probably the hardest to say goodbye to. In October, with my two week old baby in hand, I hugged Buffy and Ian goodbye as they left for Texas. For about a week every time I walked by their house I cried. Brian couldn't tell if it was my postpartum hormones or if I really did miss Buffy that much. I don't know, a combination I guess. I just know that my heart ached when she left. Buffy made me work out. I'm wondering if I'll ever go running again now that she's gone. Imagine me running while I'm seven months pregnant...yeah, that's thanks to Buffy. She was so easy to be friends with. We joked that it took us five years to make a connection like we had and it will probably be another five years to make another one. I'm still trying to decide if I've forgiven Ian for taking her away from me.

Then, out of the clear blue Shannyn decided to leave me too. What? In December I waved her family goodbye as they headed off to Arizona. I have known Shannyn the longest and even though I didn't see her everyday, it was always comforting knowing she was there...doing the same thing as me. I will so miss our visiting teaching chats in her living room and now who am I supposed to borrow things from? What a great example of a dedicated mother Shannyn is. I admire her strength and persistence. And now, she's gone too.

As I take the walk from the parking lot to my home I look at the windows that used to be occupied by my friends. It feels strangely empty around here. I think as the weather warms up in the spring it will be even harder for me. I'll miss the memories. Dairy Queen Blizzards, baby-monitor babysitting, Seven Peaks, hanging out at the playground, drinks from Sonic, shopping, Becky's parties, cravings for fries and fry sauce, nursery buddies, running errands, talking on the phone for hours when we're ten feet away from each other, hubby softball games, activity days, a fine "first date' to Swiss Days, ward parties, piling into the original Pilot with twenty car seats, playing Settlers, Thursday nights, pizza factory, trips to Park City, Sunday night games, and so many more!

I don't even watch The Hills anymore...it's too painful to do by myself. Love you girls!

5 comments:

the buff and stuff said...

i love you too! there's no one like my sarah, hopefully peyton can live up to your name. i'm glad we both have at&t and you'll still let me call you to talk about nothing. i miss you, i miss you, i miss you! no matter how many times i say it, it doesn't get any easier.

shannyn said...

this post makes me sad. i really miss my friends. i don't think i will be able to find any as great as you guys are. tell mckay jack says hi

Mark said...

Sad. I don't even know these girls and I almost shed a tear.

Anonymous said...

That made me so sad! Seriously we had such good times though and I miss it too. I know life has been crazy, but I'll really feel it when I'm home with baby #3 and you guys aren't around. We really have to be better okay!

Molly and Jason said...

I'm glad you have such great friends Sarah! That's so awesome. It made me want to be a better friend to the people we know here in LV.