Sunday, February 1, 2009

here's what i'm thinking



I am so glad to say goodbye to January! I've really been feeling the seasonal blues, and I'm hoping that having January over will be the end of them. January also found me in a blogging rut. I usually have enough things to blog about that I never actually get to all of them, but this month has been pretty sparse. I actually don't have anything interesting to say today, but in honor of it being February first, I'll share just a few random tidbits from our day:

  • My sunbeam gave a talk today on Adam and Eve. He was SO excited to talk in the microphone but when we actually got up there he was as stiff as a board and at the same time shrinking into this little heap of a three year old with as many fingers in his mouth as he could manage. The first half of the talk was inaudible, but by the end you could hear actual sound- not words, but sound. I guess practicing into the wire whisk wasn't at all like the real thing. But you know what? He is as proud as punch of himself. And I am too
  • Last week, while pretending to be an alligator, my sunbeam bit his teacher in the behind. McKay didn't tell us this- his teacher did. McKay's reply, "I was a big, big alligator and he was a scary snake." Oh, so that's why.
  • Today was my first time in relief society in our new ward because I've been substituting in primary. I generally get about twenty percent of what is being said during church on account of my girl. Between opening snacks, reading Brown Bear over and over, corralling her in my general area, making sure she doesn't rummage through other people's bags, picking the smashed snacks up off the floor and preventing her from lovingly mauling any nearby babies, I am pretty busy. Today in relief society I managed to hear something that I always need to hear. An older lady commented on how she was always waiting for the next thing in her life to happen. "I can't wait until my kids aren't in diapers. I can't wait until they're all in school, etc. . ." I can sometimes fall victim of waiting for certain things in life to change before I start living it. The lady shared how those things in life are but for a small moment, and you can never get them back. A very good reminder for parents of young children. I guess I can wait until Ellery goes to nursery in April, or until McKay stops picking his nose, or whatever. Because someday I'll miss not having a baby to entertain during three hours of church, and someday I might miss telling a three year old to get a tissue.
  • I wore my zebra print cardigan today. Brian HATES it and almost can't be around me if I'm wearing it. I just tell him that he wears weird things too and that I don't take fashion advice from him. I actually thought about showing a picture on here and taking votes, but I don't have a picture and what if you all hate it too? I'd rather not know because I like it.
  • This afternoon McKay picked up my pen and did a big scribble on the couch. As he was clicking the pen shut he said, "Uh oh mom! I just accidentally colored on the couch! I'm so sorry." A big time out followed, after which McKay cried, "Mom. I'm just so sad because you are angry at me." Even though I wasn't very angry at him, telling him he was getting a long time out for what he did was angry enough for him. It's funny how that boy can make me want to apologize for putting him in time out and making him cry. He's just so sweet, even when he colors on the couch or bites his teacher on the bum.

2 comments:

Reynolds said...

I relate to the pen incident...

James and Cassidee said...

Hey you! I randomly came across your blog while I was blog surfing? Remember me and our good old days at IDI? I left that crapper place in August... Can you beleive I stayed that long? I am going to add you to my reading list so I can keep up with you and your CUTE family!! Our blog is jamesandcassidee.blogspot.com

-Cassidee (Jensen) Bird