Monday, February 23, 2009

where's my girl?

Today Ellery had one of her firsts. Her first tantrum.

After an accidental collision with McKay in the hallway, a crying Ellery wanted her souci (binky). Just within the last couple days I decided it was time to just let her have souci's in her bed- she was rapidly getting too attached. So I didn't give it to her. She kept crying and running into her bed to show me what she wanted, but I told her no.

Then the screaming began. . .


. . . and the flailing around on the floor. . .


. . .and more screaming and thrashing around.


This went on for about thirty minutes. Brian and I did not know what to make of her. We knew after about ten minutes that she was having a tantrum and we just let her cry it out in the hallway. Tantrums are funny- after about ten minutes of crying they don't even remember what they were crying about.


I was feeling bad for her. . but it was also a bit entertaining. Entertaining enough that I started snapping a few pictures. Brian and I have never really experienced a tantrum of this magnitude before, with McKay or Ellery.




Being the softy that he is, especially regarding Elle, Brian picked her up after her thirty-minutes and plopped her in bed. . .with her precious souci.


This girl is proving to be very different than her brother. The attitude is out in full force and she definitely has a mind of her own. Like, for example, how she's trying to stop taking her nap. . .at the age of sixteen months. I go between mourning and being really angry about this, but mostly I refuse to accept it. Even though she has only napped twice in the last week, I will not give up.

So, we can't help but wonder if this sudden feisty streak is a girl thing, a second child thing, or just an Ellery thing?

4 comments:

Adrienne said...

We get those tantrums from Natalie all the time. I'm sorry you had to go through one. I've never taken pictures during them, though - I think I might now, just for posterity's sake, you know?

Have fun in Vegas!

Molly and Jason said...

Poor Elle! It is funny when you know they're just throwing a tantrum. And with any luck, maybe she's just struggling with her naps because of teething or something?! I don't know what I'll do when Carter gives up a nap!

Sarah and Desmond said...

Maybe the Lord gives you your second child because if it would have been your first, you might have reconsidered having more. I know if Gracen would have come first, Savanah might never have been! =)

Anonymous said...

So McKay didn't do any of that? It must be a girl thing because Ellery's behavior sounds totally normal to me!