Saturday, October 2, 2010

thoughts on a sunday


  • We not only got to watch conference, but we had a beautiful ballerina accompany each MoTab song with a lovely dance.  Yesterday, every time the music would start, Ellery would stop whatever she was doing and run to the front of the tv and twirl away.  "When is the music-prophet going to sing?"  Oh what a funny girl I have.
  • We sure enjoyed watching conference.  Always uplifting.  Our kids were actually really good this year and we got to hear a lot more than we usually do.  
  • McKay has picked up a few new phrases.  Everyone is "dude," especially Brian and "what the?" is being said about as frequently.
  • Listen, don't be jealous that H&M is coming to Portland, just come up and visit.  We'll go!
  • Several weeks ago Brian let the kids watch a Tom & Jerry cartoon.  For awhile they requested it quite often.  Then one day Brian and I decided that we hate Tom & Jerry and it might not be the best thing to let our kids watch two guys try to kill each other repeatedly.  We put a ban on Tom & Jerry and of course since then it's all the kids want to watch.  
  • I know I'm always talking about how cute it is that Ellery mispronounces things and how the things she says are completely adorable.  But if your kid was saying "Winnie ba pooh" thinking that was totally how you say it, you might think it's completely adorable too.  
  • Last night A Few Good Men was on and I watched the tail end of it.  I've known this for a long time now, but seeing Tom again last night reminded me.  My dad totaly reminds me of Tom Cruise. . .but before he got weird.  The good Tom Cruise.  Anyone?  Anyone?
  • This week we went on a family lunch date to Ruby Tuesday.  We sat outside on the patio, overlooking a big pond with fountains throughout.  It was a perfect afternoon, even though my veggie burger was just so-so.  We don't go on dates anymore, just the two of us.  I can't even remember the last time we did that.  
  • Brian and I have found ourselves in a pretty fierce competition over fruit ninja- a game on his phone.  The thing about Brian is he can't stand it when I'm better at it then he is.  I'm pretty sure he wouldn't be able to sleep at night if he didn't immediately top my high score every time. 
  • Good for me, I cleaned the house last night!  It's been awhile since I did that.  Brian was off at a school thing (aka: party) and I decided that I wanted to watch conference in a clean house.  I'm starting to be able to do things again.  Now I just need to put some good mental vibes into dinner preparation.  I'm scared.
  • Brian started school this week.  And I'm afraid it's going to be a rough semester.  He has clinicals at OHSU this semester, which is very different than where he came from.  I know he'll do great, but I also know that he's in for some stressful days.  I just can't even describe the amount of pressure, intimidation and stress that these clinicals cause for CRNA students.  It's pretty crazy.  And that's pretty much all he has until he graduates next December.  Just going from one clinical site to another for a year and a half.  Yeah, the next year and a half are going to be rough.
  • On a happier note, Brian is now a senior!  Hooray!  We can do it, we can do it!
  • I totally love Layla because she's only had like three blowouts in her whole month long life.  
  • On Tuesdays Brian and I meet in the parking lot of the church at seven.  We switch cars, and I take the kids home as he then goes to do his scout thing. The other night as I was taking a car full of cub scouts home, Layla began screaming.  Like, really screaming.  The poor boys didn't know what to do.  The one who was sitting in the front was physically unable to stay still due to his distress over the crying.  He was almost writhing in his seat.  I'm pretty sure they were all completely traumatized.
  • I grew up in a family of all girls.  It's no surprise then (although slightly embarrassing), that we used the word "fluffy" for passing gas.  Of course I went through a phase in my youth where I would say anything but fluffy- of course!  My mom would have died had she hear the real word come out of my mouth.  Now that I have my own family we just go with "fluff".  I take great pride that I converted Brian.  I also take great pride that my kids have no idea that fluffs are funny.  When it happens they just say "excuse me" and go about their business.  It's nothing to laugh about and they have no idea about the potty humor they're missing out on.  They didn't even know about the f word.  I knew it was just a matter of time before this changed.  Before McKay heard it said by someone else and found out what it was.  That's why when he came running into the house in the middle of playing with the neighbor kids and said with a pride I have never before heard in that little voice, "I just have one thing to say to you guys:  farted."  I could only laugh.      
Happy Sunday!

5 comments:

shannyn said...

i totally forgot you said you are doing cub scouts. i have that calling too. which den are you in? i could really use some pointers. i know you are super creative and fun, share your knowledge with me please.

Mark and Jana said...

I can't believe we used the word fluffy. That sounds totally weird to me now. Fluff is much better and that is what we use.

I love your little twirler and her hair is so long.

Molly and Jason said...

I love your post on little layla! She's adorable! And- why does Ellery look like such a little teenager dancing?? And fluffy makes me laugh. My boys totally know the humor of "tooting." Brady thinks it's especially funny in the bath!- that always makes me a little nervous:)

krista bott said...

I was a dancer too. Never at conference because we had to go to the church back then. Was it slow and fancy? I'm trying to picture the kind of dance that would go with the choir. Can't quite do it.

Reynolds said...

Fluffy. Thats a new one. I think my sibs always said fahrfregneugen or something similiar from a volkswagon commercial. Isaac hasn't discovered the "f" word yet, thankfully. He sure thinks potty talk is funny.