Tuesday, March 22, 2011

RIP baby blue

We have lots of sweet memories in this old car- Brian proposed in here, we brought McKay home from the hospital in this car and we had numerous road trips in baby blue.  

We were really hoping that baby blue (a car that has been in the family for twenty years) would last us through graduate school.  She has been in bad shape cosmetically for quite awhile- broken door handle, rusted paint, no fm radio, broken cd player, and moving to Portland alerted us to a near constant puddle of water on the floor of the back seat.  But.  She was drivable and did got the job done, which was taking Brian to school and clinicals.

But then she started to not be so reliable.  After breaking down in Newport last month, then again this week we realized she was fading fast.  Reliability is pretty huge since Brian will be traveling all over Oregon this year.  We decided to pull the plug on old baby blue and get a new car.

It's not fun to look for a car that you need to buy immediately.  I like when you can take your time and really be sure that you're getting the best car that's out there.  We looked on craigslist mostly, and after two stressful days, finally found a nice little used Camry.  We got a good deal on it (but who really knows that anyway) and I'm glad that we have a reliable second car that can fit our family if needs be.  And I'm happy for Brian that he can listen to the radio again and that his car doesn't smell like mildew.

Here's the kicker.  We didn't know what to do with baby blue.  We didn't know how to get rid of her when she needed at least a $700 repair, plus all the other problems she had.  Brian went and looked at a car off craigslist before we bought ours, and the guy said that his friend might be interested in our car.  The next morning there they were test driving our car and before we knew it she was gone.  We sold it!  Ha, ha- I still can't believe someone bought it, with the long list of things to fix and all.  Brian was a little sentimental as he watched some random guy drive his trusty car away for good.  



You know, this doesn't really have to do with this post, but there really is no where else to put it.  I'm kind of really upset with Brian.  A couple weeks ago I asked him what he would do if he won 3 million dollars.  He listed only a few things- pay off student loans, buy a truck, and save the rest for later.  I know, I know- he was acting all sensible and unaffected by his money.  Whatever.  I told him that I would get a new car with our 3 million and he looked at me like I was a crazy person.  Then his eyes got all narrow and he said, "Why?!  What's wrong with your car?"  Well, nothing, but we have 3 million dollars.  I might want a sweet mini van with automatic sliding doors and fancy cargo storage and leather seats.  A new one!  He could not believe his ears and thought I was completely crazy and spoiled for getting a new car with our 3 million.  And listen, he was serious.  And I got mad at him and am still totally mad if I think about it.  I mean really, is one little car too much to ask for when you have THREE MILLION DOLLARS???

Okay, I'm not going to get mad anymore. . .unless we start talking about it again.  I have always driven the nicer, newer car, so maybe he wants to drive around in his truck to make me jealous.  I don't know.  Right now, with the new car, we're pretty much even.  It's a good thing we don't have three mill!

4 comments:

Adele said...

I'm just wondering... was the bee still caught in the back window?

Molly and Jason said...

:) Not that it matters but I would DEFINITELY be getting a new car! Not only that but I probably wouldn't sell the truck- maybe we'd just have 3 cars. I wonder how Brian would feel about that?

krista bott said...

So when we got rid of shiny snail, i was sentimental too. i even did a little photo shoot to say goodbye. and don't feel too mad at Brian, when i've asked jason what he would do if we won the lottery, he said something like, we'd save it! Like not spend ANY! nice.

The Reichmans said...

I loved that story;) i just looked thru all the pics of you guys over the years and both of you have such pretty eyes.