Sunday, March 27, 2011

the way she plays

I guess I'm in too much of a hurry all of the time because somehow I have helped this little girl learn to claim to be helpless so that someone, anyone, will complete the task for her.  Cleaning up?  She's horrible at it.  Going potty?  She can do it on her own, but will often wait until the last possible second unless we insist and assist. Putting shoes on?  She'll halfheartedly sick her foot in backwards and say, "I can't do it."

I guess I just haven't taken the time to teach her, and given her time and patience to get faster at these little everyday tasks.  It's so much easier to shove her foot into the shoe myself, rather than wait until she finds the right foot to go in the right shoe.  It's something I've just recently pinpointed and I'm now trying really hard to correct.  I've also realized that she just might take longer to do things, and that's okay.



You see, this little head is often up in the clouds.  She'd rather be playing with all her little "girls" than going potty or getting dressed or cleaning up.  But that's exactly what I love about her.  
She has the most beautiful imagination.





I find so much joy watching her play.  Listening to her little girls talk to each other.  Watching her hold them and place them and take care of them.  

One of my favorite things she does when she plays is refer to herself as "the big girl".  Ariel and Belle will be talking and Ariel will say, "The big girl likes pink dresses too," and Belle will be all impressed with Ellery.  She is one of the characters and I just love that.

I love how she will take anything pretty and incorporate it into her world somehow.  A pink glove becomes a sleeping bag for a few princesses.  Layla's shoes become flying ships for the smaller girls.  A tissue box will become someone's house.  A scrap of fabric is instantly transformed into a beautiful wrap for a little girl.  A diaper is the perfect bed.





I still think it's important that this girl develops some personal responsibility and basic human skills.  We're working on it.  But I will never get tired of seeing her use her mind for this.  Ever.  Well, unless she's still playing with Barbies when she's fifteen or something.  Then maybe we'd have another talk.





Love, love, love this girl of mine.

0 comments: