Wednesday, March 2, 2011

picture newport

The second week in February we were able to spend a week in Newport with Brian while he worked at the little hospital there.  We stayed in a sweet couple's house while they were out of town and the kids and I would hang out there until Brian was done for the day.  Usually he was off around two.

The trip was really great. . .however it took a couple days to get to great.  I think the kids were so excited to go on vacation that they went temporarily insane.  They were wild, bratty and defiant and Brian and I were at a loss of what to do.  Finally, on the morning of the third day the kids and I went to Walmart.  I explained that they were ruining our vacation with their behavior (they really were) and that they had one more chance to be good in Walmart or we wouldn't go to the beach like we'd planned.  Somehow, that switch that they have inside flipped (it may have had something to do with a box of animal crackers) and they were finally back to themselves and we had a really great couple days.  

It was kind of weird to live in a stranger's house, and hard for the kids because they wanted to touch and explore everything and couldn't understand why they weren't allowed to.  During the day while Brian was working we went on walks- admiring the plethora (and I really mean plethora) of various lawn decorations that pretty much every house in the neighborhood sported.  The kids loved digging in the dirt in the back yard and we bought a huge ball and McKay, Elle and I had an intense game of soccer.  When Brian came home for the day, we'd set out and explore the little beach town.  

Some pictures:

beautiful harbor



lazy sealion




 aquarium 




movie "at home"




swimming- the kids favorite





beautiful Newport




bundled up for the beach
kids look a little homeless but it's the only one of all four of us :)


3 comments:

Kate said...

Who cares if the kids look homeless? The only thing I'm looking at is your hair. It's gorgeous!

Reynolds said...

I love the pictures of the harbor and ships... I wish I could be there right now. Ditto on the hair :)

Ty and Tiff said...

Looks like fun!Don't you mean a picture of the five of you? :)