I love my little Ellery. I am always going on and on about how perfect she is. She truly is an incredibly good baby...but leave it to me to complain about something so great. Ellery is so good that when she is behaving like a normal baby- meaning crying for no apparent reason- I just plain don't know what to do with her. I always say that it's still weird for me to hear her cry because I'm not used to it. Her cry is not familiar to me because she doesn't cry a lot.
Well, tonight she had one of those normal baby nights and woke up crying a couple hours after I put her to bed and I felt so awkward and helpless with her. I don't know any tricks to comfort her because she usually doesn't need it. With McKay I knew the right position to get him to sleep, and that he liked me to cradle him and sway back and forth while singing to him- no sitting. That was his trick. I didn't know how to help her get to sleep and I guess she's not a snuggler because she was not at all interested in snuggling with me. But she didn't want to be put in her crib like I normally do either. And I'm pretty sure she does not like when I sing to her. What did she want? I still don't know. I ended up nursing her to sleep- something I never would have done with McKay for fear of creating a monster- and when she woke up after a few minutes she watched the Jazz game sitting on my lap until she fell asleep. So although I have this beautiful, perfect baby girl, I feel like a twelve year old when she cries. What's a twelve year old to do?
2 comments:
Sarah! i'm so glad you left a comment on my blog! and i've been meaning to get back to you! your little family is DARLING! those eyes of macks...oh my...they'll melt you! and you know what...i have nursed both of my babies to sleep...sometimes it probably makes it harder on you...but in the long run, i don't think it makes them monsters...infact, i know it doesn't! it's hard...it's always a guessing game...you get one thing figured out & then it's on to the next! good luck!
She is a sweet baby. You'd be lying if you said you always knew what to do with a crying baby. I do better with crying babies in the daytime. I'm not a night person - i cease to function after like 9:30.
Post a Comment