Yesterday McKay had a huge idea. While we were getting ready in the morning he just kept spouting off his plans, "And we'll go outside. And we'll get a lot of sticks. . ."
I would humor him and say, "Mmm hmmm."
"And then, we'll make a BIG BIG tree. And we'll get sticks and apples and leaves. . ."
After about ten minutes of describing it to me, I figured it was something he was pretty serious about. It was a relatively warm day, and so when Elle went down for her nap we decided to get going on this big idea.
He was so proud of the finished apple tree.
You see, I've been doing "art" with him for a few months now. I try to have him do one or two projects a week. I got this idea from my friend Shannyn's blog. She did a post about a site she had found called No Time For Flashcards. I LOVE this website. I love it because the ideas are simple, they are easy, using basic materials. (I spent about $10 at the Dollar Store for supplies) I love it because these crafts, or "art" are not for parents to look at or admire, they are not to be"cute"- they are for the kids to create things. I sometimes find myself wanting to tell McKay the correct place to glue a googely eye, or that pumpkins should be painted orange, but because of the no-fuss, simplicity of these ideas I am reminded that those things don't matter at all. It's about him and how he wants to make them. That is what's most important. His ideas.
That's why I was so proud of this apple tree. He thought of it. It was his art.
And just because I really love this picture. Taken at 11:30 one night during one of Elle's private playdates with mom and dad. Every once in awhile she'll wake up after a few hours and want to hang out. And guess what? We totally let her. Brian is incredibly soft when it comes to this child. Like dangerously soft. It's a good thing I'm involved. Anyway, she walked around talking on the phone saying, "Hello," and giving us goofy smiles like this one. It's kind of nice to have some one on one time with her. She doesn't often get it, so we figure that 11:30 is as good a time as any. Love her.
5 comments:
Love her (and him). They are so cute. I'm impressed with his "art" skills. You must be a proud mama.
it seems like mckay has always had a great imagination. i'm very impressed with awesome apple tree. i too have a very hard time not "doing" jacks craft and just let him do it. elle is the cutest little girl and i can't believe she is walking and talking when i left she was a baby so i guess in my head she will always be a baby.
Such darling kids!
That's so cute! Good job for taking time, I need to be better!
so so cute!!!! Actually I was also torn about going private. I have to admit I am a blog stalker so I hate to browse and see someone I know and they are set to private :(. But I was watching the news last week and they did a big special on blogs and how you should never give out your personal info (obviously) but even not post pictures of your kids. because somehow people can find you. I have never really gotten creepy comments or anything but I dunno. If you are going private, set me up: lindsayburr@comcast.net. thanks sar
Post a Comment