Sorry for the bad photo, but the lighting in our bedroom is horrendous. I just thought I would tell you all a little bit about how school is going for Brian. . .through my eyes, I guess.
He's in his fourth week now and so far so good. When you're applying for anesthesia school I think they like to freak you out about it. People in the anesthesia community (online mostly) talk about how you can't have a life outside of school. They tell you to say goodbye to your family and friends until you're done and that you'll have little time to do anything but study, study, maybe eat, and then study some more. We [I] was completely freaked out by all that I heard about how grueling and demanding the programs are.
I came here knowing and expecting to be raising our kids mostly by myself for two years and a semester. Brian came prepared to see his kids only on the weekends. We were dreading that part of it, for sure, but at least we knew what to expect.
Well, I'm happy to report that "they" were wrong. Brian is really busy. Brian has long days. But Brian is still Brian. It's more like he's just a regular working man now. . .only sometimes it's even better than that. Sometimes he walks through the door at two o'clock. I like those days. Him working nights for the last few years was hard. It was SO hard to get used to at first, but then it just got to be normal. And it wasn't until we moved here and he started school that I realized just how great his night schedule was. He was around all the time, and was able to spend quality time, day and night, with me and the kids. I had no idea how good we had it.
I realize that we're only a month into the semester, and that this isn't necessarily how it's going to be the whole time, but I'm relieved that at least we didn't have to jump right into a life like that. I do, however, anticipate that it will only get harder from here. Plan for the worst? Maybe that's best in this situation.
I've been so impressed with Brian- he's doing really well with the actual schoolwork part. He's really smart. I don't know why I am so surprised by this! I've always known he was smart, but sometimes my mind goes back to the freshman-in-college Brian, which was pre mission and before he really had any direction as far as his collegiate future. But I am constantly finding myself so proud and impressed with that big old brain of his.
So far, he has been able to do all his studying at school. Several days a week classes finish in the early afternoon and he'll just stay at school and study for a few hours. It's nice because he hasn't really had to bring much home with him.
The faculty, second-year students and program directors seem so supportive of the students. I think it's been pretty interesting, yet great to have such an intimate, encouraging learning environment. He is one of fourteen (I think) students in the program, so I can already tell that they will be very close.
So there's my update. I know this might be a post that only his mother will read all the way through (Hi Adele!) but I wanted to record it just the same. And also, because I'm proud of my Bri!
3 comments:
I'm proud too!
I read it. And I too remember pre-mission Brian and must say I'm VERY impressed!
It's funny, you tend think the current situation you're in is hard for whatever reason, until you get out of it and look back and think, we had it really easy.
Post a Comment