Saturday, February 19, 2011

it's my new philosophy

I have a friend who's been inspiring me.  Her kids whip out the most creative art projects.  All on. their. own.  I am constantly impressed with the things that they make just using scrap paper, tape, cardboard and staples.  And one thing I've noticed is that my friend has these supplies out almost all the time for them to just use.  Like, whenever they want.

This got me thinking.  Maybe my kids would do more art/creative projects if it was more accessible to them.  You see, I like to have everything put away.  We have plenty of art supplies, but they are so "put away" that no one ever remembers they are there, including me.

The paper is buried in one cupboard, the makers kept in another drawer, the scissors and tape in my completely chaotic junk drawer in the kitchen, and then all the other stuff is stuffed in a box that is so full it's hard to know what all is in there.

So, I had an idea.  What if their art supplies were all in one location?  And what if *gasp* it wasn't put away, but out where they could access it any time, all the time?  Would they play with it more?  Would they do self-started projects?  Would they be creative and proud of the things that they made?

The answer:  yes.  Yes, yes, yes, yes!



Who cares if there is an ugly, plastic set of drawers in my dining room?  I did, but not anymore.  I realize that my kids creativity is more important than a house that's "just so".  Besides, don't they grow up anyway?  I'm sure before I know it I'll be wishing I had a need for an ugly plastic set of drawers instead of a perfectly neat house.  This is okay for right now.  No.  This is just right for right now.

I also reorganized the toys in their bedroom.  I figured the same principle applies.  If it's out or easy to access, it will be used.  More playing, more pretending and actually using their toys instead of having them neatly tucked away in the closet.  I'm happy to report I was right.  Even though we have to clean up the toys more often, I have to smile at the mess because they made it.  And that makes me happy.

*I'll have to add a picture of the shelf in their room later- I really love it.  But right now all the toys are in a big heap on the floor.  :)

2 comments:

Molly and Jason said...

I like the idea on the creativity- how is it going? We're not very creative around here and could use some help in that department.

Adrienne said...

That's what we did in our house - it's all on the bottom shelf of our bookshelves and they do stuff all the time. Coloring. Glueing. Cutting. It's awesome. They make some strange things, but they use their own ideas, so I'm all for it! I can't wait to see their shelves.