Wednesday, July 6, 2011

the day i knew i was thirty

Goodbye old swimsuit.  

On our honeymoon, eight years ago, Brian bought a swimsuit at Abercrombie.  Probably the first and only time he's shopped in that store.  That is the only swimsuit he owns.  It served him well for eight long years, until this June, when the lining started to fall apart. . .you know, the mesh lining.

He's now on the hunt for a replacement.

On Wednesday we were at the mall, looking for a swimsuit.  Of course, snobby Brian wanted to buy one at some outdoor store, but there was nothing that he liked that had a mesh lining.

I saw a Pac Sun just down the hall and led my whole family into the store.  We marched over to a wall of board shorts and McKay and Ellery began hiding in the displays.  I thought to myself, "It's been a long time since I've been in a store like this."  We started peeking into all the shorts, looking for a mesh lining and none of them had it.  A teenage boy asked if we needed help.

"Yes," I said, "Do you have any swim shorts with a lining?"

He looked at us kind of confused and said, "Uh, yeah, I don't think they make those anymore.  Yeah, I'm pretty sure they stopped making those a long time ago.  We have board shorts."

"Oh, okay.  Thanks."

We looked at each other and I said, "We're so old!" As Brian and I tried to wrangle our three wiggly children out of the the store, the teenage boy watched us leave.  I'm pretty sure he was thinking that we were way too old to be in their.  We were kind of thinking that he was a little dumb if he really thinks the only swim trunks in the world are board shorts, but who are we to judge that type of youthful mistake.  :)

So, now the search continues and we're just a couple of thirty year-olds on the hunt for some reliable mesh lining in an understated swimsuit.  Is that really too much to ask?    

Oh, and also, it's not so bad being thirty.

2 comments:

Reynolds said...

I have those "I'm so old" moment every time I try a new style of clothing. You will always be cute and never old. Glad your trip was great. Love to read and catch up on your cute little fam!

krista bott said...

Try Costco, they have them mesh 'n all!!!