Sunday, October 2, 2011

we had two birthdays, shout hooray!

The day of the big birthday party started out like this:








Actually, it started out at about five-thirty in the morning when both McKay and Ellery threw up.  (Why, oh why?)  McKay and Grandad had planned to go to Thunder Mountain at about six am to chop wood and do some work up there.  Both were excited, but especially my little boy.  That's why it was so hard to break his little heart that morning and tell him he couldn't go.  I'll have to share more on that story later, but it's a good thing he didn't go because he threw up several more times- and slept for several hours that afternoon.  

Adele and I were making a million cakes in the kitchen, and in between mixing and frosting we worried that McKay was going to die from a case of poison apples.  You see, he had eaten about six un-ripe apples off of a random tree, and thew up those apples that next morning.  Ellery too, although she didn't eat as many or throw up as many times.  We were sure it wasn't the flu. . .or was it?. . .and thought he might die in his sleep from the pesticides.  After an agonizing day of wondering whether to cancel the party or not, I decided to go ahead with it.  We felt confidant that it was from the apples, making him not contagious.  

Oh dear.  Oh dear, oh dear.  I was wrong.  I can skip ahead and tell you that most members of Brian's family came down with a case of poison apples too, as well as Carson and Alyssa on my side.  Except none of them had eaten poison apples.  So basically we passed around the flu to the Matthews family (and beyond) once again, starting with little Mack, as usual.  Ahh.  What lesson do I continually need to learn this way?  Really, what is it?  I do take some comfort in the fact that Marilyn and McKay got it on the same day, so who knows who gave it to who.  But really, it was probably him, because it's always us.  

Anyway, lets get back to this party.  It was not McKay's year for a party, but he got to tag along in Layla's ice cream party.  Like I said, Adele and I spent most of the afternoon baking these:


I feel sick that I didn't get a better picture of that blue ice cream cone cake.  She free-handed it all and made it up as she went along.  I mixed the cake mix.  I helped a little.  Anyway, it was a massive cake and turned out so cute and just what I had pictured.  She is quite talented, that one.  Anyway, I was happy that my ice cream cone cupcakes turned out better this time and we had enough cake to feed everyone at Cascade Park that night.  





This little girl wasn't too interested in her cake.  She ate a little corner of it and then was done.  





Due to the unknown illness, we had McKay blow out his six candles on one of the ice cream cone cupcakes, you know, to protect everyone from getting sick (ha!).  My poor boy, I look back at these pictures and can see how sickly he was.  He was feeling fine by this point, but he looks skinny and sallow.  





We played a couple games with the cousins.  McKay got awfully close to the top of the ice cream cone.  I was a little suspicious.  And he was super excited about having a piniata!  



As I was going through the pictures of Layla opening her presents, I noticed a trend.





And this boy was just thrilled with everything he got.  





We were so glad that almost all of our lovely family was able to be there, as well as two of my favorite friends.  We missed Grammy and Poppy and some teenage nieces who weren't able to be there. . .oh, and Marilyn, who was home throwing up.  I was really sad to not have Brian here for this, but so grateful to my family.  We felt loved and supported.  Also, I have to just add that I had McKay and Adele running around just as much as I was to prepare for this party.  They were SO helpful and I really couldn't have done it without them.  I COULDN'T HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT THEM.  That's is an important statement. 





I took the opportunity to snap a photo of all the babies.  


Gemma (5 weeks), Layla (1 year), Wayne (7 weeks?), Olive (7 months).  
I have a feeling I'm going to love this picture forever.  



 It was definitely crazy having their birthdays two days apart, and I honestly, I feel bad for myself that I have to do two birthday two days apart for the rest of my life.  And remember, Brian and are two days apart. . .so it really just seems unfair.  I want their birthdays to be special, and when you have to share it with someone else it's just not as special- I know.  This year I felt okay about combining the two since we were in Utah, and it would have been weird to not include both of them.  But I've vowed to always make it special for both of them, individually- and if that means two birthday cakes, two parties, two everything, then that's what I'll do.  I'm already tired just thinking about it.  But guess what?  They're totally worth it.    






1 comments:

Adele said...

That was a fun and crazy day in spite of that awful "poison apple flu"