Sunday, October 23, 2011

newport

We tagged along to Newport for Brian's first week of clinicals down there.  I am so glad we did.  It was expensive, yes, and technically, due to unexpectedly having the first two days off, we didn't really need to do it after all. . .but we didnt' know that until we got there, and I'm still glad we went.

It was a great time to reconnect as a family.  We needed it.  It was a good week for us.

Out of the dozens and dozens of pictures I took, this wins as my favorite.  About to go off on a sea creature hunt.  



And this is my second favorite.  Brian and I laugh about how uncharacteristic it is of me to love seeing wildlife so much.  Brian says I'm in my element when I'm doing things like this with my kids.  It's kind of silly, but I really do love it, and so do the kids, and so together we made a really great team.  We even caught a crab with our nets from the dollar store.  


Other highlights of the trip:
-the beautiful scenery- the Oregon coast is gorgeous.
-Seeing wooly bear caterpillars
-going to the tidepools, which have been covered with sand from the ocean
-Layla getting excited to see the seals
-our crab.  had to talk Mack out of wanting to smash him or keep him.
-visiting the sea lions on the pier.  stinky, loud and gross, but somehow fascinating.  
-looking for starfish with Elle off the pier in the water.  we found a ton.  she liked the pink ones.
-pink starfish are much prettier than stinky boy sea lions, according to Elle.
-we knew they were all boys because someone told us that all the girls stay in California.
-eating clam chowder and fish-n-chips at the local restaurants
-going to the science center (aquarium)
-browsing at the pirate plunder mall
-Elle picked an ornate hand-held mirror
-Mack searched and searched and after two days, finally settled on a shark tooth




-visiting the light house.
-McKay and Brian climbed to the very top.
-Elle, Layes and I waited outside and enjoyed the ocean views



-having meals around our hotel room table
-Layla taking two naps a day, even though we were all in the same room
-mostly due to an ingenious idea of Brian's to cover her crib with the heavy curtain (see below)
-snuggling with Brian in bed each night at 8pm, sharing ear buds to watch movies and tv while the kids slept.
-picnic in the park.  feeding the crows and blue jays our leftovers.
-swimming with dad in the most chlorinated pool ever.  ever.
-Elle's swimsuit being bleached and her hair straw-like because of said chlorine.  gross.
-walking to the candy store.  Mack: mini jawbreakers, Elle: chocolate rocks.
-playing legos in the bathroom while Layla naps
-Ellery, being Grammy, giving a much anticipated birth to a dog (?)
-wasting time at McDonald's playland while Brian worked.
-Driving to the Lincoln City outlets to waste more time.
-stopping to get sand at the most lovely little beach in Lincoln City.
-unexpectedly playing in the sand and collecting shells and lovely beach.
-Layla loved this and was covered with sand.
-Ellery found a whole "clam" on lovely beach.  a prized treasure in our house.



McKay once again wants to live in Newport.  Fortunately for him, that is not such an unrealistic idea. . .one day maybe.



2 comments:

Adele said...

I'm glad you got this time together. It looks really fun.

Adrienne said...

I think I want to live there, too. And I'm so happy y'all could be together. It looks like the perfect mini-vacation. (Kind of jealous, you know?)